Ideal saddle second hand

jabbathehut

Mar 23, 2010
Hi

I'm new to posting but have had the odd lurk! People on here seem pretty nice :smile:

My question...

I've been offered a year old 17 1/2 inch Ideal saddle (I think GP but could possibly be VSD) which looks in very good condition. It seems to fit my 14.2 Connemara very well and is pretty comfortable although I've only sat in it - not ridden out properly in it.

The seller, who is someone I know, has asked £400 for it. A quick trip round eBay and Preloved, etc, suggests that this is a bit high but it is in very good condition.

I really want/need a new saddle. I don't mind whether it's a 'name' or not but I want a really well made English saddle, made in England with English leather. Is the Ideal a good make of saddle fulfilling my criteria? Are there any other makes I should look at? Someone suggested Albion but I thought they were very expensive.

I don't mind buying new but obviously a good quality, well looked after 2nd hand would be great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts.

I emailed Ideal with the serial number and they sent me details of the model and when it was made. They were incredibly helpful, so much so that I'd definitely consider buying a new one from them.

Inicidentally, I've been for a hack in the saddle today and not only does it fit my mare perfectly but it is really comfortable as well as being a really lovely saddle. The leather is gorgeous.

I think I'm going to have to buy it!

I like Ideals as well, they are generally about £800 new. We also like Farringtons.

I have just bought Techna jumping saddle for my Connie as she is still changing shape and they are versatile as they can be remoulded...looks good but I will see how it performs long term!!

Welcome to NR ..pictures of your Connie are essential!!

If it fits and it is in good condition, I would go for it!

I bought a second hand Black Country (WHICH I LOVE) for £280. Plus £20 post and packing, plus re-flocking. And I took a chance (with the help of the v. knowledgeable Poohsmate!), so that was over £300, so as you have tried it, and it fits - def go for it!!!

£400 is pretty much the standard rate for second hand Ideals just now. Which is sods law seeing as how I have just had to get a new one cos I couldnt get one in his size second hand :(. Erm eml, forget the £800 - try £1130 - and thats a basic Grandee!

And to think I practically gave one away a few months back for £50! :eek:

Well, it did need reflocking etc..........

I have been really lucky on ebay and bought - 2 years ago - an Ideal hunter cut pony saddle (17") for £110. After reflocking (£60) it fits perfectly and is staying with him forever. Its so smart fits so well and I love it x

newrider.com