Ideas for cheering up a buddy!

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
My friend has had a real rough 2-3 years with various injuries and illnesses, just as she gets over one another seems to appear - she is THE most accident prone person I've ever known. She's had terrible referals from doctors, being passed back & forth without anything being done, has suffered a lot of pain & problems that are of a sensitive/lady nature. She's had to have a lot of time off work and feels guilty about it & has suffered depression because of all the above.

So I've decided to try & do something to cheer her up. She's not a confident person at all & has low self esteem of herself. I thought about something like a spa day but she'd HATE to be seen in her cossie if we went in a pool or anything & might feel paranoid during treatments.

She's very much in to live music, 70s rock music (massively into Dylan, Hendrix, Rolling Stones etc) although she sees a lot of local live music.

I'd like to do something as a surprise for the day. She has a 20 year old daughter who lives at home with her - they don't always get on although recently things have been much better. I'll get in touch with her via FB to see what she suggests (she's a chef) although she's not usually one for pampering her mum.

Does anybody have any bright ideas of something different we could do? (PS She's not horsey either - allergic!)

Last edited:
Ok cheapy idea, how about a nice afternoon out to somewhere quiet, beach or countryside, take some lovely food and have a picnic/ barbecue sunbathing session, accompanied by her favourite music. Make sure you get someone to play taxi man if u fancy drinking champagne with it.

Afternoon around yours or hers, with just the two of you or some good mates, and a few cheaply brought (ebay) Rolling Stone / Queen / Dylan in concert DVD's ? Have a small theme as well of 70's hair or similar and a just a good girly natter :)

How about a sleepover? Takeaway curry (or whatever your poison is), nice bottle of wine, and your favourite movie on DVD? Then fresh croissants or smoked salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast?

I think Ruskii and fm have the right idea. You don't need to make grand gestures or spend lots of money. Spending time and showing thought is what counts.

I too vote for the afternoon of delicious snacks, good music (to her taste of course!) and a good chin-wag! Needn't cost you a fortune, and I'm sure she would feel special that you'd thought to organise it. I can totally see where she'd be not wanting to have a spa day or anything like that. I hate attention, bad enough having my hair done once every six weeks!lol.

Aw thanks guys - I'm going to go with the afternoon/evening in. We try to do that semi-frequently anyway, a few of us, and we have a right giggle and b!tch about the numpties we have to work with.

I think I'll check when she'll be home next week and turn up as a surprise (or maybe see if I can nip round for a coffee) - I've ordered a Jimi Hendrix DVD (and car sticker!) from eBay, will make some cupcakes and take around some snacks and have an evening in with her favourite things.

Hopefully she'll have some free time!

You could always get someone to come round and do manicures/pedicures at your afternoon together. It might make her feel all glammed up ready to dance to Hendrix.

I don't like going to salons for things like this, but if it was with my mates in my own home I would quite like it. :)

newrider.com