Ideas for feeding lots of people

clashnoir

May 19, 2010
Nr Edinburgh, Borders
I cook for the beaters on our shoot once a week.
I have a big Goblin soup urn and a slow cooker.
I also have an oven to use.
I generally make chilli and curry with rice done in the slow cooker as its easy.
Has anyone got any idea for easy to make meals for 20 that can be left to
heat in over from either 9.30am or 11am (when we have elevenses) to about 3pm when we finish for the day.

OH's mum made lamb stew yesterday, she left it cooking all day. I don't even like lamb all that much and it was gorgeous. She just put chunks of lamb and loads of root veggies in the pot with some stock and stuff. Nom nom nom :biggrin:

chicken and ham chowder - yummy! great served with chunky bread and very filling. Or fragrant pork with rice? basically pork meatballs in a tomato, garlic, lightly spiced sauce. Pork balls and rice cook together, very easy and can be left.

Tagines are delicious - just casseroles with Moroccan spices really. They are very tolerant and so is the couscous you serve with them :smile:

Beef in Red Wine gravy is DELICIOUS and can cook for HOURS and HOURS...in fact longer left to cook the more delicious it is.............

Let me know if you want recipe x

Stew - love it. With Dauphonoise potatoes which are easily prepared ahead and can cook on low for ages.

I have to cook shoot breakfasts for about 20 once a year when it is 'our' (for that read OH's) day. I get quite stressed - especially when everyone comes out to the kitchen to chat. Clearly am not female as find that multi tasking very difficult!

Well done you, think it is very clever to be able to cook for so many people.

Pheasant and rabbit terrine. Cook in the oven 45 mins, then keeps chilled to have with bread and soup. YUM and would sink ducks!

Pheasant and rabbit terrine. Cook in the oven 45 mins, then keeps chilled to have with bread and soup. YUM and would sink ducks!

Now that is a good idea.
Would have to skip rabbit as there is hardly a rabbit left on the estate with myxi and some other condition that makes them fit then drop dead. Carcases everywhere! Old lab just tried to bring one in the house!

recipe please. I have some highland stewing steak in the freezer that needs using up.

Here's how I do it: melt some onions or shallots and garlic very gently in dripping, butter or oil; take them out, make the oil hotter and brown the meat, then add the red wine and let it bubble. Add whatever vegetables you like - carrots and roots, or tomatoes and black olives - cover with stock if you have some, or water if you haven't, season, and then cook very slowly for a long time.

Here's how I do it: melt some onions or shallots and garlic very gently in dripping, butter or oil; take them out, make the oil hotter and brown the meat, then add the red wine and let it bubble. Add whatever vegetables you like - carrots and roots, or tomatoes and black olives - cover with stock if you have some, or water if you haven't, season, and then cook very slowly for a long time.

Olives? Yummy. Would not have thought of including them.
That sounds like a good easy make. I could put potatoes in it too or just serve with some nice crusty bread.

It you put potatoes in it, cut them up with the skins on and put them in... stops them turning to mush:happy:

I do it with lovely scrummy dumplings:happy:

newrider.com