If Instructor Lets You Ride Their Horse, Tip Do Not Fall Off!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
:redface:

Well not done a lot of riding and I think it shows. Had chance to ride a nicely schooled medium dressage horse. Probably what some would call push button, but only if your riding level can push the right ones.

Spent some of time on the forehand and some of the time without proper contact. This horse was not going to give unless you knew the ropes. Which I clearly did not! I don't feel that a well schooled horse can make anyone look good, this one just showed all my holes and made me look as I was the one in need of schooling. Which I may add is true I haven't really done much dressage.

The canter was lovely when I got it, my leg however being where it was the horse thought I wanted medium trot, when we weren't doing half passes!

But the newforest tip is whatever happens do not fall off the horse. Not sure if wet are aware that if the horse has a very bouncey canter, it is worth shortening a hole. Now if I had been a bit more on the ball I would have realised this from his trot and adjusted. I was having a lesson but it is not the job of instructor to point this out.

I did a full circuit of the school before one stirrup was lost, the second one was lost and the result was, well see below.
I then did half a circle like this before the horse stopped and instructs shoved me back on.

2012-04-10204222-1.jpg

Last edited:
I sold the jodphurs as a result of the photo, it was their fault :giggle:
Cream is sooo not flattering!

I still fondly remember my ride on Sid at my local RS. He was up to medium dressage and OMG I've never had to work so hard to get what even a smidge of what he was capable of out of him. He felt great under me, perfectly balanced and such contained power. I loved it as a one off but not my idea of riding for fun. I don't do photos but wish my OH had been there to get pics. I've got none of me and my 2 either cause I'm so camera shy.

Fab post.... I too think you are very brave for going public, but thanks for sharing oh and for what it's worth I don't think you've anything to worry about on the jods front, you look very slim and not at all what I'd look like in cream.

Bwaaaahahaha! I have to say that made me laugh like a drain. Thank you SO MUCH for posting, I have great admiration for you as a rider (I remember you jumping bareback and bridleless) and it's good to know that everyone, er, slips up sometimes!! :bounce::wink:

PS If that's not flattering, you must be a supermodel....

I posted it because I knew we could all have a laugh. The other photos look boring by comparison. I do like it when friends press the button at the right moment. :wink:

newrider.com