If something is faulty

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Okay this might be cryptic but I will try not to be! If you bought something three weeks ago brand new and it was a duffer in the sense it didn't do what it was meant to - ie keep your feet dry then would you expect a refund or replacement product?

Not fit for purpose so yes i would be straight back in with it..

Don't need the receipt either although it helps if its not own brand..

Well I have the box tags and receipt. But apparently they will have to contact their rep for this particular product before they decide what to give me - so I am now minus both boots and £60!

Its a bit difficult because its the place I go for all my feed etc - so I don't want to be pushy about it. Just left feeling a bit put out - as I had expected them to offer me another pair off the shelf right away.

Makes no difference where you buy a product, your contract is with the shop not the rep.

I paid £30 for my Woodland wellies really happy but I pushed the boat and oars out for my walking boots.
So yes I would certainly be back if they were not fit for walking in.

They leak! Badly. I thought the whole idea of wellies was to keep ones feet dry! After three weeks I would expect them to still work! Last night my heel was drenched!!!

I understand about not wanting to be too pushy, but they should also be worried about loosing a valued customer. How about putting a time limit on them? Maybe phone tomorrow, ask if they have heard anything, then say you think it is entirely reasonable to expect an answer by the end of the week?

No ypu should be given an automatic refund or replacement,they are taking the pee :-/ trading standards you have 6 months and its with the shop not the maker.go back be firm and demand a refund or replacement.

If they are faulty then you are entitled to a replacement pair, receipt or not. Having worked in a saddlery I can kind of see where they're coming from regarding contacting their rep, we had to get certain items tested first before offering a replacement. But we were swift about it (24-48hrs).

You should have your receipt really, it's proof of the time that you've had the item. I would expect something to be sent back to the manufacturer by the shop before getting a replacement unless it was a low cost item. That's because the manufacturer refunds the shop for the faulty item usually :) I would just ask them for a time scale, I sure they'll sort it out for you ASAP

I understand about not wanting to be too pushy, but they should also be worried about loosing a valued customer. How about putting a time limit on them? Maybe phone tomorrow, ask if they have heard anything, then say you think it is entirely reasonable to expect an answer by the end of the week?

Yes I think I will ring them later today and be a bit more assertive - maybe ask them if they can sort by Friday as I will need to buy some alternatives if it goes on and on.....

Thanks for all the replies - I do have my receipt so shouldn't be a problem there. I just hope it gets sorted soon as my old Ariats are jiggered and leaky - so hence loving the waterproof aspect of my wellies! I bought them thinking they'd last a bit longer than three weeks too!

newrider.com