If you could ride anywhere

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
If you could ride anywhere where would you go?

a) in your home country
b) in another country
c) would you take your horse or ride theirs?

For me its The Dragon Ride in Wales that I'd planned to do with Jess in 2015, I'm still hoping I will get her strong enough to do it or perhaps just a little part of it (the brecon beacons) :)

I would love to do the Pacific Crest Trail (https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/) in the states, or either a Peru or Mongolia expedition :D any of those would be on local horses so they are fully acclimatized :) Oh and on safari. And in the outback in Aus :D

Last edited:
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Highlands Coast to Coast ride in the U.K. but any long distance ride involving mountains, wilderness and some form of water would be amazing, preferably with bees buzzing in the heather and the wild cry of a Buzzard or Kite or even an Eagle overhead. Aaaah, bliss...

I don't know much about riding overseas but I think it would have to be a cattle drive in the US. Driving cattle across the plains and up to their summer grazing in the mountains, camping under the stars with a fire to keep the bears away. No idea whether rides like that actually exist lol.

I'd only want to do it on my own horse, that's all part of the adventure :)

I don't know much about riding overseas but I think it would have to be a cattle drive in the US. Driving cattle across the plains and up to their summer grazing in the mountains, camping under the stars with a fire to keep the bears away. No idea whether rides like that actually exist lol.
If you want to do this go to the TX, I went 9 times (and would move there forever tomorrow given the chance) and you will get nothing more real, they are a small family run operation, they NEED the guests to get all the work done as there is normally only 2 or 3 farm hands and they would need 8 full time farm hands to get all the work done. You get to cut, sort, rope, brand, doctor, drive and wrangle horses, it will be the time of your life and every night is spent round the fire listening to Hip's tales and riddles and its all set in the Pryor mountains just outside of Yellowstone national park to give you an idea of the country there :D .... can you tell I miss it :p www.txranch.com on a little 4 year old called Tommy dropping into Dead Mans Canyon looking for straggler cows, he was a star
tommy.jpg

Last edited:
Now I'm on a memory trip :p
You don't catch these horses in the morning, you have to rope them....
roping horses in the am.jpg
Camp, well this was our choice, they provide fab tents, but this night we were lucky enough to see the northern lights from next to the fire
camp.jpg
After we had gathered the cows, waiting on the fire to get hot enough to start branding
branding.jpg
One of many perfect days :p
scenery.jpg
Roping a calf in to the fire for branding
roping.jpg

I've done the Outback riding with and without cattle, it was hot, dusty and LOADS of flies. I don't miss it !

I have had great access to miles and miles of woodland and moorland in the New Forest so have been spoilt that way. I would absolutely LOVE to ride one day in Wyoming or Yosemite park.

If you want to do this go to the TX, I went 9 times (and would move there forever tomorrow given the chance) and you will get nothing more real, they are a small family run operation, they NEED the guests to get all the work done as there is normally only 2 or 3 farm hands and they would need 8 full time farm hands to get all the work done. You get to cut, sort, rope, brand, doctor, drive and wrangle horses, it will be the time of your life and every night is spent round the fire listening to Hip's tales and riddles and its all set in the Pryor mountains just outside of Yellowstone national park to give you an idea of the country there :D .... can you tell I miss it :p www.txranch.com on a little 4 year old called Tommy dropping into Dead Mans Canyon looking for straggler cows, he was a star
View attachment 87094

That sounds and looks so fab, I would love to do that (although I am slightly scared of cows :confused:) I had such a rush the other day when my goats had escaped their field onto the drive and I was riding Kiki and we herded them up together. :D

Its strange because when I lost J I would have given anything for one more ride. The last ride was doing something xc though.
But I have moved forwards and my lass in my life is the only lass I need :)

That looks amazing! Although there's no way I could rope anything and I'm not really sure what wrangling is when I think about it. I would so love to do that though.

Reading all these replies about heaven makes me think that I can't actually remember my last ride on my lovely loan horse Dotty (she is in my avatar). I had to give her up over 10 years ago when my first son was seriously ill and her owner then banned me from the yard and had her PST 6 months later without even telling me. I am still bitter now.

That looks amazing! Although there's no way I could rope anything and I'm not really sure what wrangling is when I think about it. I would so love to do that though.
Wrangling is herding the horses, they bring the herd up and down from different pastures to the corrals for saddling etc. My first was an 11 mile gallop with a herd of 40+ horses, scary as hell but massively exciting too :D they are great at teaching people to rope :)

Reading all these replies about heaven makes me think that I can't actually remember my last ride on my lovely loan horse Dotty (she is in my avatar). I had to give her up over 10 years ago when my first son was seriously ill and her owner then banned me from the yard and had her PST 6 months later without even telling me. I am still bitter now.

That's awful, no wonder you're bitter. RIP Dotty x

Now I'm on a memory trip :p
You don't catch these horses in the morning, you have to rope them....
View attachment 87096
Camp, well this was our choice, they provide fab tents, but this night we were lucky enough to see the northern lights from next to the fire
View attachment 87097
After we had gathered the cows, waiting on the fire to get hot enough to start branding
View attachment 87098
One of many perfect days :p
View attachment 87099
Roping a calf in to the fire for branding
View attachment 87100

Is that you with the lariat @Jessey? Wow!

You two just made me cry!

Me too...

newrider.com