I'm already confused :l

Sparks09

Apr 28, 2009
I contacted Allen & Page the other day about what I could feed with Calm & Condition to help put weight and condition on my TB.

They said that if I fed 3 - 4kgs of c&c a day with Alfa A Oil and Baileys Outshine split into two feeds per day + ad lib hay this will be fine for him and should help him put on weight/condition.

Does his sound right to everyone? Just wondering if thats a teeny bit too much oil? ;)

Sorry if its a silly question.
xx

We used to feed Outshine for maintaining weight on our TB and can recommend it, I would try outshine first and see if that has the result you want.

i feed my tb

1scoop hifi lite
1scoop speedibeet
1half scoop baileys mix
good measure of veg or olive oil,
farriers formula
apples and carrots chopped up

once a day at bedtime with plenty adlib hay throughout day.

and he seems to be keeping the weight on at mo. and hes in great condition,lovely and shiny and fluffy. i brought him beginning of summer and he was a mess!

only you know your horse so whichever feeds you go with, adjust as you think necessary. if starts to loose weight, add a bit more if getting alittle porky reduce abit. its all trial and error until you find the balance. has taken me 3months to get this right and im sure ill need to adjust as weather gets colder. :D

:confused: That sounds a lot of c+c :confused:

My TB, who loses weight just thinking about winter, is fed:

1 scoop HiFi Senior
1 scoop Speedi-Beet
1 scoop Veteran Mix

twice a day expect breakfast only contains 1/2 scoop mix.

He's only 12 but I find feeding the senior mixes/chaffs are more conditioning and easily digestible

If ** trying to put weight on (especially this time of yr) you need to use alot of feed. My cob was ill in Summer and I've been slowly increasing her feed ever since, she's been on complete rest for 2 months as I was chasing myself, work was just eating up any food I was giving her. She's currently on

1 Scoop Hifi Light
3 Scoops Spillars Conditioning Fibre
450g/1lb Baileys Lo-cal Balancer
Carrots
(split in 2 feeds)

Adlib haylage.

She's normally a good do-er but to get weight on her its been scary how much I've needed to feed her. She was on the Balancer and Hifi before and then I've been increasing the Spillars half scoop at a time. Personally start small, if you dont see any results in say 2wks add more, weigh every week so you can keep an accurate eye on how its going. The feed company arent probably that far off, I had a shock when they told me how much to feed and Im basically at that point. Her weight has now levelled off and is looking good, maintaining weight while in work will be the next thing.:p:p

To be contraversial unless you are working your horse hard then really good quality hay or haylage (get it protein tested , you need min 10% for TB maintenance ..we use ryegrass hay) will do your horse more good. No feed can condition your horse unless used in conjunction with correct work to develop muscle.

We actually use 16% protein nuts at about 2kg a day with alpaA oil chaff and 12% protein hay for TB horses in hard work or growing together with a feed balancer ...we like BlueChip. RS horse have lower protein meadow hay, with sugar beet and soaked barley for the older ones whos teeth are not brilliant or unbranded pony nuts for the rest

To be contraversial unless you are working your horse hard then really good quality hay or haylage (get it protein tested , you need min 10% for TB maintenance ..we use ryegrass hay) will do your horse more good. No feed can condition your horse unless used in conjunction with correct work to develop muscle.

We actually use 16% protein nuts at about 2kg a day with alpaA oil chaff and 12% protein hay for TB horses in hard work or growing together with a feed balancer ...we like BlueChip. RS horse have lower protein meadow hay, with sugar beet and soaked barley for the older ones whos teeth are not brilliant or unbranded pony nuts for the rest

I understand where your coming from but I have to disagree. My cob was on adlib haylag and good grass, in very light work and was still dropping weight. I have had to take her out of work and feed her loads to get condition on. The time of yr would make it hard to put weight on a horse especially if its a poor do-er on just forage, theres is not the goodness in the grass at the mo..

I was using forage in the sense of grass/hay/haylage. If chosen well it can be of higher feed value than many mixes/cubes. You still need to add a vitamin/mineral scource as well.

If my horse dropped weight on haylage and very light work unless it was old or had teeth/digestive problems I would start by blood testing. There again I am old enough to remember feeding straights so don't have the conventional views....another whole thread!!!

I was using forage in the sense of grass/hay/haylage. If chosen well it can be of higher feed value than many mixes/cubes. You still need to add a vitamin/mineral scource as well.

If my horse dropped weight on haylage and very light work unless it was old or had teeth/digestive problems I would start by blood testing. There again I am old enough to remember feeding straights so don't have the conventional views....another whole thread!!!

It was purely a change in weather, got cold randomly for bout a wk and she just didnt cope. I was away and she wasnt rugged right.

I feed my Welsh Section D (who lives out all year) and currently heavily rugged (as has lost quite a bit of weight)... the field has absolutely no grass.

2 scoops of pony nut/meadowmix combo
Alpha-A Oil (half-scoop)
Speedibeet (half a scoop)
Plus carrots
Hay (pretty much adlib, everyone chucks hay in when they go up).

She gets this in one feed in the evening.

Don't know much about thoroughbreds, but I think I agree with eml, lots and lots of high fibre forage-types will maintain weight more naturally to a horse's digestive system. With forage available as much as posisble, the belly will always have something in it and the horse has a constant source of energy to keep warm - so adlib hay and haylege is the best option.

I'm usually anti-rugging (as horses are built for the outdoors) but in the case of an underweight horse, I'd say rug up loads to keep warmth in, so food isn't being solely used as central heating.

In terms of actually putting on weight, I've been recommended speedibeet and Alpha-A Oil, but perhaps a few extras below would be useful (perhaps a scoop or two of each). If you go with the recommendations, personally (and I know it's very difficult to do with busy lives etc!) I'd split those feeds into three portions instead of two, as that seems a lot to give in just two :eek:).

:eek:)

newrider.com