I'm competing tomorrow!!!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I'm so excited!!!

We are doing novice freestyle dressage to music. We are very likely to come last but I really don't care. I just want him to do his test without stopping for a poo in the middle or spooking at anything in the arena. He hasn't been in this arena before and there are likely to be flowers, markers etc. - none of which he has seen before. We also are struggling with our left leg canter, but the joy of freestyle is that I can just say that it is counter canter I was after.

I'm going to try and get another horse to stand just by the door so he doesn't freak out through being on his own, but I'm feeling much more confident with him than I ever have before, and if I can control my nerves I am hoping that I can ride him forward very positvely and he will take his confidence from me.

We are going with a new friend, in a new lorry with another horse that I don't know. There are lots of firsts but I do have a good friend to support me on the ground and I just can't wait to get him out. It makes me realise just how badly I want my own transport.

I am stupidly, ridiculously excited!!!!

Have a brilliant time!

How does freestyle work - do you have to give in your routine for the judge to mark to, or do they just mark what they see?

Have a brilliant time!

How does freestyle work - do you have to give in your routine for the judge to mark to, or do they just mark what they see?

You have a set number of moves to perform (e.g. 2 x 15m circles in trot, 2x 20m circles in canter, medium trot, free walk on a long rein etc.). You then match this to walk, trot and canter music and basically ride whatever routine you wish. The judge doesn't know what you are going to do and just marks on whatever they see. I find it much less stressful than normal dressage because there are no expectations on me to do anything at a particular time and if it doesn't go to plan then it doesn't really matter.

I just don't want him to poo in the middle of the arena this time!

WOW - good for you!!! Any chance someone can video your ride so we can all see it?

It is being videoed - it all depends on how well/badly it goes if I decide to share it with the world. I have a video of my last dressage attempt (where I can 12th out of 12!) and it is really cringyworthy. I look terrible, Ben wasn't moving forward and when he stopped (twice) in the middle of our canter I stopped and had a chat to him and even gave him a pat! There is no way I am posting that one!

Good luck!

What music are you using?

George Michael - "kissing a fool" for walk
Take That - "up all night" for my trot
"Eye of the Tiger" - can't remember the artist for my canter.

I am not one of classical no words music. I wanted to go with pop because thats what I like and what I feel that Ben would enjoy dancing to. It's very last minute so just need to put together my routine tonight. I'm so excited. I can't wait to show my lovely horse off.

Wow, MP - you are really getting into the swing with Ben, aren't you? A good few months ago I wouldn't have been reading this. New companion, new arena, new transport, new test???!!!??? Just wonderful - your confidence is shining through...............

And it really doesn't matter THAT much how it goes. It's all experience, it's all (hopefully) fun and best of all it exposes the fantabulous Ben to a wider admiring audience. Just focus on it all being about showing him off, and forget about you. It will all be fine. Piccies please. We don't care about what you look like (I've posted pics on here of me, pram hands, sticky out toes and all - no ones perfect.)

We all just enjoy following your and Ben's story together. Good luck.

Wow, MP - you are really getting into the swing with Ben, aren't you? A good few months ago I wouldn't have been reading this. New companion, new arena, new transport, new test???!!!??? Just wonderful - your confidence is shining through...............

And it really doesn't matter THAT much how it goes. It's all experience, it's all (hopefully) fun and best of all it exposes the fantabulous Ben to a wider admiring audience. Just focus on it all being about showing him off, and forget about you. It will all be fine. Piccies please. We don't care about what you look like (I've posted pics on here of me, pram hands, sticky out toes and all - no ones perfect.)

We all just enjoy following your and Ben's story together. Good luck.

Thank you - that's such a nice post to read.

The real change is that I have gone from feeling nervous about almost everyone, to being really excited about almost everything. I rode him in complete torrential rain all on my own last night and found that exciting as well! I'm always aware that accidents can happen and at the end of the day he is a horse who can be scared by anything, but I also trust him enough to know that it is not in his nature to be silly and as long as I keep calm and tell him very clearly what I expect of him, he really does try very hard to please me.

I don't think that there are many entries in my class and they are all very experienced dressage fanatics who compete every weekend. This is only our third dressage test! While I don't really care if I get placed or not, it would be nice to walk away with a nice red rosette. Ben does have the ability to go very well, I just need to ride him well enough to do him justice. If the really unexpected happens and I do win, I will buy him the biggest bag of carrots he has ever seen (I will probably do that anyway!).

I am so excited for you!

Full report and pics please. I hope you win, but even if you come last it will have been the most fantastic thing to do.

Good luck!

Stopping for a poo you say wonder if its, something in the name ? Mine's a Ben too & ruined a perfectly good test when instead of trotting the two half circles in the middle came back to walk to do a poo :redface: Hope all goes well for you & that you really enjoy your "party"

How exciting!!! You are much more competent than you pretend to be, and Ben is a superstar, so he will be as calm as a cucumber.

Pooing in middle of arena - can't help you on that one. When Tobes and I went cubbing HE POOED AS HE WENT!!!! Normally even YO cracking him on bum with crop because she doesnt think horses should stop to poo, makes no odds at all!!!

Am sure Ben will be a gent all the way around and reserve poos for outside arena!

You will have great fun, and the best of luck.

Oh so excited for you and Ben who I am sure will be amazing. Can't wait to see the pictures and video.

It is truly amazing just how far and fast you two have come along. You must be so proud.

newrider.com