I'm getting a doggy

Sparklie

Jun 3, 2005
hartlepool
Well I posted before Christmas about a poor rescue dog which I met at a charity fayre I was hosting.

Basically he'd been starved, kicked til his tummy was black and blue, kicked in the face so that his teeth had been kicked out and then dumped. :cry: Someone found him, took him to the vets and he was handed over to a local charity. He'd given up and was near to death.

Well now he's back to almost full health, has just been neutered and is ready for a new home. My OH had enquired about him when we first met him but we didn't hear anything so presumed he'd been homed. We then e-mailed them again last week but heard nothing. This weekend he was taken to an open day and reserved :frown: they hadn't noticed our e-mail until after the open day.

but then the lady from the charity called today. They think that I should have first refusal as I loved him so much!! :biggrin: so he's coming to stay a week tomorrow (next Friday)!!

I could post some photos of him when he'd been in care 2 weeks but think they might disturb people...:unsure:

I remember the post about him - am so glad that they have offered him to you - i'd like to see the photos as agree that we can all compare in the future.

He's one very lucky dog to have survived what happened to him, and at least he is one of the few who has a happy ending.

ok will try to post links instead of pics incase they disturb people...will add them in a sec

I'm excited but also really worried!! I hope he settles and doesn't eat my cat (as he's a lurcher...poss whippet cross) and doesn't eat my house etc.

links to photos after being in care for 2 weeks, so he had put on weight and healed a bit here :cry:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/SparklieH/joseph1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/SparklieH/joseph2.jpg

and one of his sad little face...not a horrible photo so will post it here

joseph3.jpg

Poor little love. We struggle to get weight on our whippet cross but thats just really sad. So glad he has a new home where he can be loved :) Good luck. Theyre nervous at the best of time, but he'll need lots of cuddles to heal. Ours likes to stick her head inside your dressing gown, up your sleeve, tuck into your arm pit or get under the covers - be preapred for lots of cuddles hopefully!

OMG, some people :banghead: really do not deserve the privilege of taking care of a dog! (Or any other animal). Well done you for persisting, I so hope it pays off in the long run for you all. What is his name?

Poor little soul. Greyhounds, whippets etc are such gentle, quiet dogs too. I am sure you won`t have any problems with him. We gave a home to a rescue dog, a Springer Spaniel, and she would follow me about like a shadow. She seemed so grateful to have some kindness and love. Good luck with Joseph.

Aw, what a lovely thread - sooo so glad you've got him. What a lovely name too. Welcome to NR Joseph, look forward to hearing about you.

I am so happy this has turned out well for both of you ... well done you :smile:

I hope Joseph settles in quickly and loves his new home. I'm sure you will have lots of cuddles and lovely walks together.

What a sweetie.
Not nice pics. How could anyone do that?
I'm sure you'll see him gain weight and confidence in a short time.
Sight hounds are wonderful and have the best natures too.

I'm so pleased you are having the lovely lad. Those photos brought tears to my eyes - it defies belief that people can be so sick and cruel. I'm not surprised the poor boy had almost given up. I really hope his happy ending is with you.

Just a word of caution, though. Greyhounds and lurchers are the sweetest, most wonderful dogs, and I'm passionate about them, having two greyhounds. The downside is that they are generally pretty "keen" when it comes to small animals, to varying degrees. Our boy unfortunately killed one of next doors cats when it came into our garden. :cry: I wouldn't trust any dog of this type with a cat, so you will need to be very careful. Hopefully Joseph will get used to your cat and be safe around him, but sadly he may not. People generally advise muzzling the dog for a while when they are together, until they do not appear to be a risk to the cat. There is plenty of advice on this subject on most greyhound rescue sites - I think greyhounds4u has some good info on this, and other stuff, on their website.

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade and I very much hope it works out with him, but would hate for your cat to get hurt or killed. I wish you all the best with the lovely boy, and look forward to updates. :smile:

Thanx everyone :smile:

russett: my parents have a lurcher, Honey who comes to stay with us. She's never been around cats before and has always chased them when out on walks. However when she came to stay she was more frightened of the cat than anything!! Our cat is not backwards in coming forwards and she let Honey know that this was her house and she was not to be messed with. Cue lots of cat stalking the dog around the house. I was amazed that Honey didn't chase her but she's a well behaved dog and the cat isn't daft enough to run around near her.

We also had a collie come to stay who did try to chase the cat several times and snap at her. We found that keeping the dog on the lead when the cat was about for a few days worked wonders and they were soon ok with each other. We would just have the lead attached but not pulled tight. Just so that it was there just in case!!

We plan to do the same thing with Joseph. He's only 8 months of age and has never raced or coursed as far as we know and hasn't shown desire to chase anything in his foster home so we're hoping that he'll be able to manage to behave around the cat. I suspect he'll be more curious than anything and after a few bats from the cat will be less curious!! And they will never ever be left alone together!! :unsure:

think it just depends on the dog/cat and set the rules from the start...my friend have had a greyhound, lurcher, and whippet cross. They have also always had cats and birds. The dogs have always been amazing with the cats/birds.

We were just as nervous bringing home our dogs as they were untested with cats - the older dog is more keen on chasing, but they both generally ignore our cats even in the garden - however if its a strange cat they go beserk!

newrider.com