I'm going to be in the Newspaper(not off topic)

Morganna

Feb 23, 2006
North Lanarkshire
We have to cross a long country road to get to the country park that we ride in and more often than not, we get drivers who come along the road at top speed and fly past us, its a long straight road and they can really pick up some speed. We are not on the road very long as its about 500 yards to the park entrance, but on Thursday of last week, a bus flew past me and my friend while we were out and Sam threw a fit, spinning round to face the opposite direction and trying to run away.:mad: My friend and I had discussed contacting the local newspaper to ask them to highlight the dangers of cars passing us at high speed as a lot of childre use our yard and we are very concerned that someone is going to get hurt so I sent an email off to them the other day thinking they could just print it on their letters page.

They emailed me back this afternoon and have asked if they can come talk to me and take pictures as they would like to do a story on this and highlight the issue. Im absolutely delighted that they have picked this up and would encourage everyone to do the same in areas where they have to use the roads as part of their daily ride. Summer is upon us and the school holidays will mean a lot more kids on the roads with their horses/ponies :)

I'm going to be in the Newspaper (not off topic)

Good for you Morganna! About time we all put our anxieties out there, about the dangers we face on the roads.

I wish the media - radio and television could be persuaded to do a programme about this also. I tried contacting Channel 4 a year or so ago, and Southern Counties Radio some months ago, but nothing came of it, and Southern Counties, although they said they would get back to me, couldn't be bothered! Perhaps no-one in the media rides? Can't believe it! So I'm going to try again, and hopefully someone might just believe that most of us are not snooty snobs who think we own the roads, but responsible riders who just want to stay safe.

Good Luck Morganna - would love to hear what comes of your interview!

Roseanne xxxxxxxx

Good for you. Anything that hightens awareness has got to be a good thing.

I think the general attitude of drivers is that the horse shouldn't be out on the road if it isn't trafic proof.

But if you can point out to the general population that even though humans are traffic proof there are unexpected noises and situations that can make you jump so it is unfair to expect a horse not to react like this too.

I hope the article goes well :)

newrider.com