I'm wanting to rehome/rescue a foal or young horse.

Rochelle987

Jul 27, 2021
I'm looking at rehoming or rescuing a horse for my very experienced partner and for me who has no experience at all and that shy's away from horse when they move too quick hahaha. What charities within the UK do you suggest and is there any information I need to know before doing this?
Thank you in advance.

I am in the U.S. so no help with legitimate/ethical rescues in the UK.

What to expect covers anything from “expect the unexpected and be prepared to care for and pay for any residual (sometimes those can be long term) issues as a result of whatever abuse or neglect the horse suffered.

For example, years ago I got a seven year old Arab out of a very neglectful situation. The people had no business owing horses. The Arab was about a mid-3 on the Henneke Body Scoring System for horses.

It took months for him to gain enough weight to become rideable. That was when I discovered he had vertebra issues that would render him not rideable for anyone over 100 pounds. He was a sweet gentle soul and became a walk/trot lesson horse for small children. He saw chiropractors the rest of his life, as needed. He was also always a hardkeeper which is not a common Arab trait.

I laid him to rest when he was 29. He is buried on the farm I currently live on.

My point is, whenever a rescue is involved we never know what underlying issues will show up later. Rescues are not a way to get a horse free or cheap. While you say your companion is “very experienced”, those words are by whose definition.

I have been on a horse 72 of my 74 years and have been paying for my own since I was 12. My qualifying markers for the term “very experienced” are likely not the same as yours:)

Without more details, as to your companion‘s years of experience and type of horse handling experience, my suggestion is to look at well broke horses — something with a forgiving personality that you could enjoy and have positive learning experiences:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers and Skib
World Horse Welfare
Blue Cross
HAPPA
RSCPA

all do re homing schemes. They have a list of horses ready for re homing and details of any special conditions they need to be kept in.
Most of the horses looking for homes are actually non ridden, you will be very lucky to get one that is sensible, able to be ridden and the correct size for you!

it’s not something to go into lightly, without a lot of thought, but if you re home through one of the big charities, they will assess you to see if you are suitable to look after any of the horses you are interested in , and will support you if you need help.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Hi and welcome 👋

I see you want a foal or youngster and I was just hoping you weren't going for that option because you thought it might be easier than an older horse. In fact the opposite is true. Until they learn manners babies can be bargy, feisty and even likely to kick. They can also be very sweet but haven't always grasped the idea that humans are a lot more delicate than other horses.

Of course you and your partner are probably already aware of that in which case I'll wind my neck in!

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
Yep as above, it's a pretty arduous process finding a horse from a charity. Does your OH have lots of experience with youngsters? and had their own horses before? babies needs are quite different from an older horse, it takes a different set of skills to teach them correctly and they definitely push boundaries more than older horses, they really aren't ideal for someone such as yourself with zero experience and who is nervy.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
Yes agree perhaps look to take on an older horse.
I was watching a video the other day of a young horse who someone took on. Clearly spoit it but unfortunately they set no boundaris and the horse became difficult amd dangerous to handle, so they ended up having to rehome it. Young horses need guidance, as you describe yourself as a novice im not sure whether you will be a suitable owner. Maybe your partner has experience in youngsters, if not then for a first horse go for something a little older.

Of course older horses who need rehoming may also come with issues. Hopefully a good rescue centre can match you up. But dont just go with there advice. They dont always know best as ive discovered.

When I was looking for a youngster a couple of years ago I visited some foals being rehomed by the Blue Cross. I've had a look at their website today and they don't have any foals listed, but plenty of yearlings.

They are very very thorough in their assessment of potential homes and expect you to jump through a lot of hoops. Some really nice youngsters though.

I would say that my experience of owning a youngster was mixed, and in the end I sold him and got an older horse that I could enjoy now. It's important to think through exactly what you want and are capable of doing. @Jessey on here is a very experienced horsewoman and she is going great guns with her baby horse, but mine was too much for me.

If I'm honest I'd say you shouldn't take on a foal or youngster, both for your sake and its. You have no experience and are nervous, a young horse is about the worst choice you could make and I can't believe any respectable rescue would let you take one from them. Maybe your partner is experienced, but I'm guessing that if they wanted the level of work and commitment involved they'd be looking for one themselves and it's a bit unfair of you to expect them to work with what should be your project. Also experience with older horses, as others have said, doesn't mean someone is capable with a youngster.

If you really want to get involved with horses start by getting some lessons at a decent riding school and if you enjoy those look into how you can get some handling experience. Then when you can ride competently in walk, trot, and canter and do basic handling look at getting a safe horse suitable for a novice - and no matter what a seller may tell you that's not a youngster so don't even look at anything younger than an 8yo.

This isn't me trying to ruin your dreams by the way, it's me trying to keep you safe and stop a young horse having a bad start that could cause problems for the rest of its life.

I very much doubt any charity will let you “rescue” foal or young horse based on you lack of experience and nervousness. it would be a recipe for disaster both for you and the young horse/foal Imho.

it sounds very much you’re looking for a free horse.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com