Importance of conformation for way of going

horsemad

Jul 16, 2001
Belfast, N. Ireland
Visit site
I've been reading a really good book on horse conformation, and its just made me think about how much conformation influences how the horse moves and what he is able to achieve. And how some horses physically cannot do certain movements or go in an outline (or at least find it very difficult) just because of the way they are 'put together'.

This is probably very obvious to knowledgeable horse folk, but its a bit of a revelation to me! I have always known that some horses move better than others, but I never realised it had quite so much to do with the slope of the shoulders, angle of legs, length of neck etc. And I'm sure there are others out there who haven't considered this before - which means there must be some poor horses that are classed as 'difficult' or 'awkward' when in reality they are just not physically capable of doing what their riders ask of them.

So it looks like my lovely Cindy, with her conformation imperfections won't be doing Grand Prix Dressage then! ;)

Anyone have experience of horses not being able to do something because of their conformation?

the other thing you need to take into account is talent and attitude. some horses with appalling conformation have the guts and sheer genius to do what they really ought not be able to - and equally some perfect specimens can't be bothered.

but yes, we shold always be aware of our horses' physical limitations with regard to how much it is fair to ask of them.

Really, it's all about heart.
I need to get a picture of a horse at my stable. His conformation is AWFUL. Shark fin withers, downhill, ugly head.

But you know what? Last week he made his debut at Prix St. George dressage and finished 2nd out of 31 competitors.

Look at Big Ben. He was a truly ugly horse in body too ;) But had an incredible spirit!

Truly though, there are very few exceptions. Conformation CAN limit their ability, just as our body shape or lack of flexibility can limit us in some ways. The trick is to understand your limitations and work on building up other muscle groups and areas to try to compensate

Yes, I take your point. I can see that having the right attitude and willingness to please can go some way to make up for a poor conformation.

So what you want is that attitude PLUS the ideal conformation, and you've got yourself a perfect horse (but that probably only exists in someone's imagination!)

newrider.com