In Minutes, Your Not Serious

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Man very unfortunately can make a horse submissive in minutes,seen it done and bloody disgusting! not training at all but bullying :mad:

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Sad fact that rather than spend time and patience and sort out issues to have a healthy, balanced animal they throw money and items of torture (IMO) to get a quick fix - think it says more about the owner than the horse........

Reactions: mystiquemalaika

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
That is horrible! I was getting so angry reading the "selling points" one of which was "your farrier will love you" - yeah but your horse certainly won't!

Reactions: mystiquemalaika

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I did have a farrier leave because if my filly and her constant kicking.
I didn't dream of any quick fix, there isn't a quick fix for confidence.

There is a bit as well, which looking at the photos I can't see a difference in all four only in two. But my point is if this gadget fixes everything you won't need a bit that has four uses.

I felt bad putting mine in a plain snaffle!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
A friend had a horse that reared up, fell over and laid on the ground and would not get up. Having read Beery’s books, I got a can of water, poured a little down his nostrils, he was on his feet in a flash. By standers were amazed.

Jaysus - give me strength. I dare not comment further for fear of my language.:mad:

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I didn't even read it. Yeah I bet it got up! I did read years ago about pouring hot tea/coffee on horses that don't get up.

What's scary is this is "apparently" a well thought of horse person and these products do get sold.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
What a horrible piece of kit! I still find it hard to believe that people use things like that, although I shouldn't as have seen enough folk, one an RI, not mine I hasten to add, being absolutely vile to horses. Bullying for sure.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I didn't even read it. Yeah I bet it got up! I did read years ago about pouring hot tea/coffee on horses that don't get up.

What's scary is this is "apparently" a well thought of horse person and these products do get sold.

Thats just sick isn't it? Why would someone do that? There must be some really ignorant and unkind folk out there.

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
I did have a farrier leave because if my filly and her constant kicking.
I didn't dream of any quick fix, there isn't a quick fix for confidence.

There is a bit as well, which looking at the photos I can't see a difference in all four only in two. But my point is if this gadget fixes everything you won't need a bit that has four uses.

I felt bad putting mine in a plain snaffle!

When mine had an issue with shoeing - on his fronts - my farrier told me that horses have three reasons to object.

Either they are taking the pee,or they are in pain, or they are scared. Mine wasn't scared, was fine on his backs which indicated he had a shoulder issue going on as if he had been taking the mick he would have been difficult on his backs as well.

I had had a back person come out previously, but she didn't cure the problem. The McTimoney person my farrier recommenced said he had a major problem in one shoulder and once resolved - he is fine.

I think my farrier who is very old, understands horses very well, and I am very prepared to listen to him and take his advice.

Reactions: Gimp and Wally

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Ugla could never be shod behind, although sound and an absolute lady ridden. We never pushed the issue and she wore boots behind. IN the end we lost her though arthritis in her hocks.

he's right, horses try it on, but generally they don't play up for no reason

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Its something that belongs in the 30's, there are so many old fashioned ways that are not done now.
Gripping with your knees is long gone. Get on my cob and grip with anything and she will reply very firmly that's your rude.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
So how does this actually work? I guess you pull to rope and this applies poll pressure plus forcing the bit high up inside the mouth. That must be very painful for the horse - I am not surprised that they suddenly 'comply'.

However, It's not actually that different to the rope halters that Richard Maxwell uses in his demos - or the use of a chiffney. I have seen Richards demos and he applies quite severe pressure until the horse submisses and then releases the pressure. At YHL last year he was putting all his weight onto a rope halter to gain the submission of a pony who was refusing to load. I have also seen people use chiffneys quite severely as well. Both have been difficult for me to watch.

I am thankful that Ben is easy to handle but if he wasn't I would like to think that I would never resort to such gadgets. I guess that some people get desperate and don't have the knowledge or the support to know how to handle their horses. Some of the 'supportive' comments on the website were really sad to read - poor horses to be treated with such a lack of understanding or common sense.

Reactions: Trewsers

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
The 'idea' appears to be pressure/release, combining (quite viciously) tongue/mouth pressure with severe poll pressure. I have used pressure halters (a Dually and a simple rope one) but always as a tool that was part of long term training, never as a 'quick fix'. The whole article conveys such a negative 'us vs them' attitude towards horses :(

Reactions: Trewsers

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Personally I think horses need to understand the whole pressure release concept. The majority of horses are quite compliant, but there are those who are not - such as mine - who require to learn that if you lean or pull it hurts. If you are light, it doesn't.

I really don't see why I should be injured or hurt or pulled about. I think they need to learn the old age saying of its light if hes right and strong if hes wrong. I used a rope halter which is a hard rope with knots on the nose. It causes no issue if he complies but if he pisses off or mucks about, it hurts. I also use a 14 foot lead rope which keeps me well away from his feet - he has been know to rear and box in times of high excitement - but I am far enough away from those feet but still in control. NEVER has he got away from me leading him in or out, I really don't think that is a good thing to allow them to get away with.