Inca's first pony party!

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
We took Inca to her first show today! It was only the mid-surrey pony club open show that is held in the field opposite the yard but it was too good an opportunity to miss for a first show being as I didn't have to worry about transport. We just did the condition and turnout class early in the morning so it was a least stressful as possible.

She was generally quite well behaved apart from a rather impressive (not) two legged display in the ring, but when she settled she was very good and walked round the showground nicely. So all in all although we had some hairy moments I was pleased that we've done it and was generally pretty happy with her as she does tend to get overphased easily so was almost expecting her to have to come home......was also pretty happy with my own handling skills as they haven't been put to that much of a test for quite a few years!

So another notch to add to our experience chart

There was a photographer there so will post pics when I can.

She looks stunning, really smart.

Sounds like she was very well behaved really considering it was her first time - it must be a bit too exciting so have all those other horses around!

Thanks Doogie - I was really pleased with how she scrubbed up....I did some major trimming beforehand, hehe.

She was only getting herself in a state in the line up, she just wanted to look up the showground - must have been a comfort zone thing!

One really good thing that has come out of it is that it's shown me where I need to work on her handling in certain areas (we are having personal space issues at the moment) so I'm going to try some join up at the weekend!

Has she lost all her winter coat now? Wish Iggs had - its still bravely clinging on in there on his belly and quarters!

Have you done join up with her before?

It's mostly out but she does still have some clinging on in patches over her barrell and the top of her bottom. It just won't go away!!! lol.

I haven't done join up with her before so it'll be interesting, I know I'll definitely have problems getting her to move away from me. She likes to walk around beside me anyway but I'd like her to walk with rather than cling next to me as she sometimes does. Have you done join up with Doogie?

We do loads of join up:rolleyes: but for the opposite reason to you!

Unfortunately the amazing effect doesnt last longer than a couple of weeks so now we seem to end up joining up about once a fortnight when he decides to test me to see if he really has to come in when I go to catch him!

However, we can now join up in under a minute as he walks up to me at the first opportunity as soon as he remembers I am more stubborn as he is :p

Its deffo helped him become more aware of where I am and what I am doing. He likes to follow at my elbow but i can get him to move away quite calmly by raising my arm which has been quite useful when free schooling or lunging

Let me know how she goes!

newrider.com