Increase in horse price in just under a year, would love your opinions

GingerRuby

Apr 14, 2008
Edinburgh
Hello

First of all, am not meaning this to come across as in any way rude or scathing, am genuinely interested.

I saw an advert for an amazing maxi cob on a website around last September, sounded fab, priced at 4K, made an appointment to go see him on the Saturday. When I called ahead on the Saturday to confirm directions, was told that there had been lots of interest and that he was sold (not sure when I was going to be told about this, maybe when I turned up on their doorstep? :unsure:)

Have now seen this horse advertised again on a different website, and the price has increased to £6750, the only difference in the advert is that he has been a huntsman's horse for a season. Everything else the same, advertised as hunter before, no change in like show record, or progress in BS / BE / BD etc.

Could one season acting as a huntsmen horse increase the price by that much?

Am very aware that this is difficult market, but that good ones go quickly, and the horse is worth what someone will pay, but would be interested on others thoughts on this.

Am now looking again (am selling the youngster - another post to be completed!) and he would be my dream horse, but now waaaaaaaay out of my price league, hence question.

Horse in Scotland if that makes any difference at all. Also states in advert have owned for 5 years (and randomly have just looked in phone as never remember to delete numbers and same number in advert as was last year) so sale either fell through or they have bought him back??

Cheers all

Is he a competition horse for that price?

If you really like him and want him, why don't you view him and offer them the 4k you saw him for last time?

There doesn't really seem to be much rhyme or reason as to how people price their horses at all. And personally, I think the economy is going to get an awful lot worse before it gets better so wouldn't think horse prices have gone up AT ALL, but rather down.

Interesting, I always look at horse for sale - (it's become a habit over the years!) and tbh i haven't noticed an increase - prices seem to be around the same sort of level or in some cases, lower.

Agree with what's already been said, if you still like the sound of the horse then go ahead and see him, you can always make an offer and it's up to them whether they accept or decline it.

I also think things are going to get worse in the coming 18 months or so.....:poop:

I haven't noticed prices going down - quite the opposite. I was just commenting on this to my OH the other day. 3 years ago my sister in law bought 2 14.2 ponies for herself - both happy hackers, who could jump - one had lots of hunting experience, the other lots of pony club. Good in all ways, no vices, both sound. Both 10 years old.

She paid £2000 for both of them although one came with tack and one came without.

I have not seen anything for around that price when I've been looking - unless it is late teens or dodgy! I doubt I'll get anything for much less than £3000.

Some horses still command good prices but others are very much less than a year ago. I have to say it sounds as though this seller is trying it on, and I would be inclined to offer what you can afford!

Which website is the neddy on? I'd love to have a gander though he's way outside my scope!

Clever lasses J&Z and HH spot on :biggrin: He does look handsome doesn't he, and nice stout legs and broad chest, tho will need it if needs to carry me about the place :redface:

Was trying not to be too specific as very aware this is public place and don't want to be mean, just was genuinely baffled as to price jump.

Thank you so much everyone for all your input, seems like agreement that seller maybe being bit optimistic :giggle:

Prices can vary down to the sellers opinion and that can then be reliant on their experience and views. You can see some massive fluctuations when comparing.

I would personally be cautious of that particular ad and why it has changed? Have they changed the price bracket so people don’t think hes been advertised before?

If you are looking I know of a 17h HW Hunter, Grey, 6yr – loan with view to buy or just straight loan ( not advertised as wanting word of mouth first). I haven’t ridden him so can’t give my honest opinion but comes from a very reliable instructor who would allow any trial / visits needed to see if suitable as home more important. Has been described as lovely lad – not stupid. If you need more info just shout.

Last edited:
Hello Nookster - how are you doing? Was thinking of you the other day when I saw a coloured lad very like your Voltan (tho nowhere near as handsome of course!).

Thanks for that, was also bit suspicious with the whole owned for 5 years, when was apparently sold with lots of interest last year, so did he go somewhere and then get sent back??

The 17hh sounds amazing, though not sure about the 6 year old part, is he a young 6? I'll PM you. THANK YOU so much tho for thinking of me :spin:

oh he is handsome isnt he? dont know anything about the value of horses but i think £6k is a bit steep personally. If its the same seller sounds like they are trying it on with the price..

I'm absolutely convinced that some people put their horses up for sale when actually they have no intention of selling them at all! Why? I don't know! It seems strange that he was up for sale before. Also ad says "Will only be sold to a suitable home". Mmm, makes me wonder if it's a case of a very reluctant sale. Especially as he was "sold" just before you were due to look last time. Maybe they bottled out. Now inflated price to put people off?

Equally, people are very misguided regarding the price of their horse. I also think some people put a bigger price up to get more "serious" buyers. Then when there are cheaper ones, they seem to good too be true and you think there MUST be a catch. Horse prices are a minefield!

Just to add, I was after a gelding at least 9 years old. I ended up with a 6 year old mare and she's more sensible, bold and non spooky than some much older horses I know. So don't be put off by a 6 year old if the one that Nookster is suggesting is otherwise a possibility.

I thought horse hunting would be so exciting. I don't want to go through it again in a hurry, I know that much!

Although his price has gone up, looking for same quality horses of that size with good experience out hunting, I don't think he is overpriced still. Maybe just the area I am in but good solid hunters like that fetch that money.

Maybe it is to attract the right buyer, maybe they were testing the water with the first advert for feedback etc and never sold him. I put Podge up for sale a few times and at different prices, for many different reasons, one of them was I couldn't bear to part with him:frown:

I called about that dapple grey number whilst I was looking but then I found Caymen. I called about him but they wanted a showing home for him and there was no way that I could provide that so it went no further.

He is one tremendous looking horse but that is some amount of cash! Ooft! They were really nice people to deal with incidetally

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your replies.

LauraGG - good point about prices, I think EXACTLY that if one looks too cheap :giggle:. Thank you also for advice about 6 vs 9 year old, lovely Nookster has been in touch and turns out he is 9 after all, so going to phone today, keep al things crossed....

Nat - thank you, had not thought of that to be honest, is such a big decision, and not one that can be undone, that it makes sense that people may chnage their minds.

CMP - Thank you for that, I remember him being a very lovely man on the phone, just slightly annoyed when he didn't phone to cancel my viewing when the horse was sold, but no-one's perfect :biggrin:

I'd say 6k is a bit much to be honest, my riding school is selling a stunning connie gelding who has stacked tonnes of points up with the BHS, won HOYS countless times, is amazing on the ground and has very nice paces. He's been trained to do all extended paces, lovely collection, leg yield, shoulder in and has started half pass etc.
He is an amazing pony to ride, can get sharp whilst jumping but apart from that is amazing.
He is easily work 6-7k however at this time is being offered for alot less

What about seasonal increases? Someone once told me that prices went up in Spring - most people want to buy a horse for Spring or summer (not hunters, though) - and that some owners lower price in autumn as they dont want the expense of keeping the horse through the winter.

Is this not true?

Maxi cobs are this seasons big story in showing. If he is true show quality that would be a bargain price.

Even as a mans quality hunter the price is reasonable.

Feffie the price of the connie will depends on what he can still win and with what sort of rider....what has he won recently...I have bought horses with great past track records and points for very little as schoolmasters when they were past their best for competing.

newrider.com