Inexperienced rider

Black dwarf 1

Jan 30, 2017
A friends daughter is wanting a horse but we both think she won't be able to handle the responsibility so instead I suggested just spending a day with a horse which may make her realise she can't handle a horse the girl is 16 slim and about 5 ft 6 what size horse could she ride without looking silly on and without squishing

A slim 5ft 6 person would be fine on a stocky 14.2 and maybe 15h if it's finer. She would also be fine on a littler pony but might feel "silly". She wouldn't squish anything really!

Does your friend have horse experience at all. Get her daughter to go for riding lessons. An instructor can then help with advice on what horse to buy.
I think it will depend on the kind of horse your friend is looking for. But as others have said.

Does your friend have horse experience at all. Get her daughter to go for riding lessons. An instructor can then help with advice on what horse to buy.
I think it will depend on the kind of horse your friend is looking for. But as others have said.

This. Black dwarf 1 your post sounds not so much as though you want to show her what ownership involves but rather want to set her up to fail. Also how experienced are you if you have to ask what size a slim 5'6" could ride? Realistically, depending on what she wants, wants to do & her ability she could probably get away with anything from a stocky 12.2 to 17.2!

Reactions: Frances144
newrider.com