Info on OCD and dressage horses please

juniberry

Jul 20, 2008
Devon
I am desperatly trying to find out the recovery chances of a young horse (foal) with OCD (Osteochondrosis not obsesive compulsive disorder) to go on and perfrom a dressage career. And do you support the view it may be genetic?

Young foal x-ray shows early OCD now on restricted exercise and box rest for 3 months vet thinks after 3 months if next x-ray is clear no reason the horse won't go on to be a full dressage/performance horse.

I have heard rummors some warmblood stallions have a lot of youngstock presenting with OCD hence the genetic idea. But I have also read up to 40% of TB foals may have OCD and it is just not picked up. When a study compared race horses winnings over a career between those diagnosied with OCD and those not with OCD as foals the winning amount was the same. But a dressage horse is likely to work well in to their teens so does this mean artheritis may come on later in a joint which had OCD as a foal.
All ideas suggestions and info gratefully needed

I will be intersted to see what people have to say on this.

My father's shire foal also has OCD in one of her hocks and we are taking it to be x-rayed tomorrow.

We have also had shires in the past with OCD in there hocks, also know as 'wind in the hock' of whom have had operations to have it resolved which has been succesful.

I have never known it to afect a horses performance but it is a problem for us as we show our shires in hand and has only been a purely cosmetic problem.

Sorry I don't know any more.

I've done quite a bit of research into OCD as we've had a few scares with our youngster, who although doesn't have it, has suffered with puffy joints which can be an early indicator.

The opinion on whether it is genetic is varied, although the general concencus seems to be that the foal doesn't actually inherit the condition, but the predisposition to grow large quickly - the major contributing factor for OCD as it all stems from young developing joints being under too much pressure. This is why it tends to affect certain breeds - the larger types whose characteristic it is to grow to a large size in sudden growth spurts such as Warmbloods, Cleveland Bays and other draught horses. It is believed to be common amongst racehorses as they start their training early, thus putting strain on immature joints. Other youngstock will develop the condition purely from being overfed, so the key is to strictly monitor the diet of any youngstock likely to make 15hh or over (it is practically unheard of in anything smaller).

As for the long term prognosis for the foal, it very much depends at which stage the condition was noticed and treated. OCD basically causes cartilidge degeneration which obviously becomes worse the more the condition develops. There are various excellent treatments available, from cortisone injections through to surgery and most horses will become sound and lead a normal life. However, I must say that the horses I have known that had OCD as a youngster, do have recurring problems around their mid teens. Please bear in mind though that these horses were treated for OCD 12 or so years ago so it may well be that treatment available now is more successful with better long term prospects. I also have no idea how advanced their OCD was when it was dealt with so please don't think I'm being the prophet of doom! It is also true though, that some foals can develop an early form of OCD that will correct itself without recurrence once the joint matures and strengthens - sometimes with less observant owners even noticing! This is what I would imagine your foal has so please don't become too despondant!

I can also add that one of the horses I know that had OCD was a successful dressage horse up until the age of 15.

At least your vet is now aware of your foal's condition and the correct treatment is being administered so fingers crossed that his x-rays are clear next time. Good luck x

Last edited:
I am desperatly trying to find out the recovery chances of a young horse (foal) with OCD (Osteochondrosis not obsesive compulsive disorder) to go on and perfrom a dressage career. And do you support the view it may be genetic?

I have heard rummors some warmblood stallions have a lot of youngstock presenting with OCD hence the genetic idea. But I have also read up to 40% of TB foals may have OCD and it is just not picked up. When a study compared race horses winnings over a career between those diagnosied with OCD and those not with OCD as foals the winning amount was the same. But a dressage horse is likely to work well in to their teens so does this mean artheritis may come on later in a joint which had OCD as a foal.
All ideas suggestions and info gratefully needed

OCD is thought to have a number of contributory components.

Genetics do play an important part in that. The KWPN (Dutch WB registry) do regard it as having some genetic basis and monitor prospective stallions for it - they will not approve a stallion with OCD lesions and if there is a disproportionate amount of offspring turning up with OCD they will pull a stallion's approval if it is picked up before he gets his permanent approval at 14yo. Sadly, other registries are not so strict.

Nutrition and rate of growth are the major deciding factors in OCD being expressed. Rapid growth and being overweight are big factors in the occurence of OCD. This risk can be reduced by not overfeeding youngstock - keep them consistently on the lean side if possible, not thin but at the 'fit' end of the scale. The incidence in young TBs is almost entirely confined to racing stock who are 'hot-housed' and very well-fed to get them ready to race as 2yo. Some vets will recommend early weaning if a mare is doing a foal too well and they are growing too fast/overweight.

The latest thinking on nutrition for youngstock is to feed the appropriate vits/minerals and to use a feed that has a low glycaemic index - basically high fibre, high oil, low starch (<10%), moderate/high protein - which means largely avoiding cereals. This promotes more steady growth and it is up to the owner to not feed too much so that weight is controlled.

In terms of long term outcomes after OCD - nobody really knows. If you x-ray a large number of older horses there will be a proportion who will have OCD lesions evident and many will never have had soundness issues. OCD that lames or is evident as a foal may be more severe but even that has variable outcomes with treatment. Early management of OCD is much better now so the long term outlook has a chance to be vastly improved over that of 10 years ago.

Thank you and here is some more back ground

I have been looking to buy a foal with the plan to do dressage with this baby once my oldest horse fully retires. Been to see a lot of foals and yearlings and a lot of very average babies. Then I found the one from an amazing home well bred and just perfect. About a week before weaning foals owner (I have not paid yet) notices foal is lame calls vet who finds a swollen joint, next day xr-ay confirms OCD. The plan is to restrict the foal and mare together for another 3 months then re x-ray. I have the option of backing out but I really like this baby as he is special.
My vet says they will look at X-rays but why risk buying a problem when foals are high risk as it is. My horsey friends say run a mile and I have even been offered another foal similar breeding and less money. But may be due to being sentimental I like the one I picked first time.
My main concerns are
1/ even if the next x-ray shows OCD has fully resolved and no need for further treatment could it be hiden in other joints
2/ If it comes to surgury it will be a definate no but I do think if the foal had not been owned by such a diligent owner this may have gone unnoticed and I would of been none the wiser so is it worth the risk
3/ will my baby break down with DJD in this joint just as we get to the higher levels and I ask for more collection
4/ do I take a risk and just try and get the price down (a lot)
5/ will this now mean for insurance all lameness will be excluded for life

Realistically if every thing else goes to plan we will be at our peak between 10-15 years old just as DJD may start to effect the joints

My advice would be to back out. If the foal has an inclination for OCD it could well appear in another joint - they are at risk throughout the time they're growing and when they first start work so you've got a long haul yet before you're in the clear. It's great that the owner is honest enough to make you aware of this now and although you're in love with the foal I think you should be grateful that you have the option now to walk away. It's always a gamble buying youngstock, but now you know there's a potentially serious problem it's wiser to find a youngster that has a clean slate. You could well be signing yourself up for a lot of heartache. Sorry if I'm all doom and gloom but really don't want you to let your heart rule your head and end up in a bad place :eek:

Last edited:
Just noticed the insurance question. A lot of insurance companies exclude growth abnormalities which is what OCD is, although there are a few that do cover it. However, the foal will need to be vetted for insurance, so it depends on whether you use a different vet for the vetting who won't pick up the OCD (presuming it clears). If the insurance company gets wind that the foal is prone to OCD they will exclude all future claims relating to the condition.

wow that reply was spokely identical to the one my friend gave me on the phone today although he shouted and said I was stupid if I was even thinking about the foal.
Must be fate to get the same advice twice and to hear about the problem just before I was going to pick the baby up
I must listen
Thanks for this

Not sure about a dressage horse but we were given a young ISH who needed 6 months field rest at 4yo from diagnosed OCD.

She has had a long career doing PC camp and events, show hunter, working hunter, showjumping etc and has never been lame. She is now 17 and her main problem is a mayblossom allergy!

Not sure about a dressage horse but we were given a young ISH who needed 6 months field rest at 4yo from diagnosed OCD.

She has had a long career doing PC camp and events, show hunter, working hunter, showjumping etc and has never been lame. She is now 17 and her main problem is a mayblossom allergy!

But would you take the chance on buying a foal that you knew already had it? Especially if you had a specific purpose in mind for it?

Walk away.

Not worth the risk, as short of x-raying every joint you don't know if something will show up in other joints at a later date and there are another 4 or 5 years of growing to do.

Keep looking and put the money away for now.

There is a nice stud near you that breeds sport horses - might be worth a look there

http://www.rollestone-farm.com/FORSALE.html

ETA she is reducing her numbers as she and her OH have split up so some good prices

Last edited:
But would you take the chance on buying a foal that you knew already had it? Especially if you had a specific purpose in mind for it?

that would depend entirely where the lesions are. get a good vet out. sometimes, the lesions won't cause any problems, other times they are a wonderful candidate for surgery, or you should run away fast. also, the price should really reflect the fact that the horse has OCD.
but if you really like the young horse ,have a vet evaluate him fully.
OCD lesions aren't necessarily a horrible thing, it all depends on the location of them

Hi there, sorry to hear your foal has OCD... I have had a horse that I was selling vetted today, and on the x-rays that were taken, it has shown that he has some signs of OCD present on one of his fore legs around the coffin joint. There is no lameness, or swelling etc, it has only been found on these x-rays. He is a 17hh, 5yo warmblood eventer. I wondered if anyone who knows more about this condition than me has an idea as to what I should be expecting from him in terms of the future, and how likely this is going to be to affect his future career as an eventer?? Thanks.

Hi there, sorry to hear your foal has OCD... I have had a horse that I was selling vetted today, and on the x-rays that were taken, it has shown that he has some signs of OCD present on one of his fore legs around the coffin joint. There is no lameness, or swelling etc, it has only been found on these x-rays. He is a 17hh, 5yo warmblood eventer. I wondered if anyone who knows more about this condition than me has an idea as to what I should be expecting from him in terms of the future, and how likely this is going to be to affect his future career as an eventer?? Thanks.

It may never bother him BUT given that he is destined for a high impact sport with a lot of strain on the forelimbs the chances of it bothering him are higher than if he was destined for a dressage career with the high impact being on the hind-legs. If you are having x-rays done, then he is high value and I can guarantee the insurance company will plaster exclusions all over your policy.

some good info from american websites. Waht did the vet say about the eventer? Has it stopped developing and does it need the op for scrapping. I have looked at a few more foals still nothing comes close. The vet has xrayed the OCD stifle and the other leg. Other leg is clear so they will re xray both legs in another 2 months. Still hoping (rather stupidly) the second xray will show do signs in both legs but still no definats re the other joints in the foal
GUTTED

newrider.com