Injured fox cub

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I have a fox family living locally and see the adults from time to time, there's at least 1 cub that I have seen several times in my field this summer. 2 weeks ago when the field was being topped a cub made a dash out of the big blackberry bush in the middle of the field, looking bright and healthy, given only 1 ran out I suspect it's where 1 cub has taken up residence. Last night I saw a cub by the bush, but the poor sod is 3 leg lame :( he's injured his right fore and was looking quite rough and scrawny, he hopped back into the bush.

I've no intention of trying to catch him or anything, but did put some water and cat food near the bush this morning, I figure it can't hurt to help him out a little while he's recovering (hopefully), can it?

I have a fox family living locally and see the adults from time to time, there's at least 1 cub that I have seen several times in my field this summer. 2 weeks ago when the field was being topped a cub made a dash out of the big blackberry bush in the middle of the field, looking bright and healthy, given only 1 ran out I suspect it's where 1 cub has taken up residence. Last night I saw a cub by the bush, but the poor sod is 3 leg lame :( he's injured his right fore and was looking quite rough and scrawny, he hopped back into the bush.

I've no intention of trying to catch him or anything, but did put some water and cat food near the bush this morning, I figure it can't hurt to help him out a little while he's recovering (hopefully), can it?
This is exactly what I would do, his life doesn't seem in immediate danger. With any luck his leg will improve given some time but its clearly making finding food difficult till then. If the leg looks obviously broken though I would try and contact a wildlife rescue to come and catch him. They will most likely just pts but better than the cub suffering long term

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
This is exactly what I would do, his life doesn't seem in immediate danger. With any luck his leg will improve given some time but its clearly making finding food difficult till then. If the leg looks obviously broken though I would try and contact a wildlife rescue to come and catch him. They will most likely just pts but better than the cub suffering long term
It wasn't flopping around, he was just holding it up, so I'm hopeful that he will recover in his own time. Must be a family thing, mum has a permeant limp from an injury 4 or 5 years ago.
I assumed he must have been struggling to get enough food to be out yesterday at 6pm, he's probably just been living on blackberries as they are close by, hopefully something a bit more substantial will help him heal :)

Reactions: Trewsers
We got our fox reduced chicken on the bone from the supermarket, it was near sell by so hugely reduced to £1 per pack of 6 thigh bones! Also cheap cat food and left over dinner scraps. We had a mum fox raising 3 cubs under our summer house and she was looking very poor and as the cubs were tiny we fed her for a little while. Once the cubs were big enough she disappeared more and we reduced what we were putting out, then stopped altogether. I know we shouldn't really encourage them but couldn't just sit there and watch the family struggle. Once the cubs left she moved on and I've only seen 1 fox in the garden since which looked like a young male. Sorry for going on, I loved watching the cubs grow up!

• Love
Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I've really enjoyed seeing the cubs this summer, scared the heck out of me the first time, I was walking up the field and one just shot out of the long grass in front of me :D I shall have a look for chicken when I go in later, I did pick up a tin of dog food this morning as thought that may be more appropriate than cat food but plain old meat is probably better.

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
We got our fox reduced chicken on the bone from the supermarket, it was near sell by so hugely reduced to £1 per pack of 6 thigh bones! Also cheap cat food and left over dinner scraps. We had a mum fox raising 3 cubs under our summer house and she was looking very poor and as the cubs were tiny we fed her for a little while. Once the cubs were big enough she disappeared more and we reduced what we were putting out, then stopped altogether. I know we shouldn't really encourage them but couldn't just sit there and watch the family struggle. Once the cubs left she moved on and I've only seen 1 fox in the garden since which looked like a young male. Sorry for going on, I loved watching the cubs grow up!

I would have loved that too, never been so lucky.

Reactions: MrA
We have a vixen who earths at the bottom of the paddock. Every year she rears cubs, usually 3, sometimes 2 or 4. I see them in the late spring sunning themselves on chilly mornings on top of the poo pile, all the family together - like central heating for them!

They do give you a start when they jump out of the long grass. It always makes me so happy to see them.

Reactions: Jessey and MrA
newrider.com