Inside zip boots?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I've just seen a pair of boots I am very tempted to buy (although not for me,lol). They have an inside zip though, I wondered about the zip rubbing the saddle but the saddle they will be used on has a full sheepskin cover, so don't think that would be an issue. But has anyone ever had any issues with the zip causing a pressure point on the inside of your leg where it lies against the saddle?

Riding boots aren't generally made with an inside zip for that reason. I rode in a pair of non-riding boots with an inside zip and it dug in my leg a lot.

Reactions: No_Angel
These are country boots, not technically riding boots (we have caged stirrups so ok on that front), and I wouldn't normally look at inside zip boots, but these are such a good price I am very tempted.

I'm tempted to get them anyway and if they don't suit her for riding I'm sure I can find somewhere for her to wear them,lol.

Reactions: Jessey
I would be bothered they weren't really designed for riding - but I don't have caged stirrups and also I am fussy about what I ride in lol
If you think they will get used on the ground if not suitable for specifically riding tho, and the price is right....

Reactions: No_Angel
I've actually been riding in walking boots lately with a chunky tread on them, and I actually quite like them (can't seem to find any western boots I like to fit me :( ) I always usually go for boots with a riding sole.

I think I might be tempted with them anyway, we were just talking last night about how she needed shoes with more ankle support after her injury,lol, I'm sure these count, you could wear them in Tesco right? lol :D ;)

Reactions: Trewsers
I loved long black boots long before I started to ride. Boots with an inside zip are not intended for riding and I for one would never wear them when riding.
For many years i rode in half chaps and short boots. Our RI objected to stiff long boots as she felt they restricted the movement in one's ankle - and the softness of our feet.
It was quite different when I learned to canter and OH eventually bought me top quality dressage /riding boots. The softness of the leather running from ankle to knee means you get a direct feel of the horse, so soft and so close that you never want to ride in anything else - and the horse feels you too. I am sure of that.
We have had threads recently about using tack to get a message to the horse - but like other older members I was taught how to ride mainly through feel. If I were a horse I wouldnt want to feel a zip closure against my skin.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I've shown them to her and she likes them so I'm going to buy them anyway :) If she doesn't like them for riding I'm sure she can use them for something else.

I doubt the zip will be anywhere near the horse with all the sheepskin on her saddle, I am more worried about a pressure point on the inner leg of the rider, but she's no princess and the pea so I doubt she will notice it, tbh. That's more the sort of thing that would bother me.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com