Instant relief!

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
It was drummed into me that in all aspects of horse care, much is a matter of “know your horse”. That has proved to be so true today.

We turned the ponies out as usual this morning, from one field to another. Their normal routine is to go through the gate, roll, then gallop to the other end, bucking as they go. Then they settle down to graze. This morning, that is what the boys did. Grace, however, rolled, then stayed down, but was munching away at the grass from that position. She got up after a bit and wandered off, but at a slow walk and she did not join the boys. We kept an eye on her, and while there was nothing definitely wrong, she was clearly not herself.

We brought her back up to the house. Again, nothing obvious, just walking slowly and not her cheery, bolshy self. I felt her all over - no cuts, lumps, heat or tender bits, but when I got down as far as picking out the third foot, out came a big stone. Her head lifted and she perked up immediately. I took her out on the road to check and she was trotting freely and willingly. Problem solved. And you can guess what she did when she was put back in the field!

Yes it's so true about knowing your horse. When we got J (who was our first horse) mr trews remembers one of the fellow liveries telling us "you'll get to know how he's feeling just by the look in his eyes". Well, I remember mr trews saying to me "oh yeah right, like he's mr ed the talking horse or something"...but you know, a few years down the line and he could tell exactly how he was feeling - and if anything was amiss, not just by his eyes of course, but overall really getting to know him.
Glad to hear Grace is fine and back to her normal self :D

newrider.com