Insurance cover when someone has a ride on your horse

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Following on from the rider only insurance question.
I have been revising my policy recently and it was mentioned to me that my policy only covers me as the rider. Does this just mean it covers me if im injured. So what I want to know is if I offer a friend a one off ride on my horse, who doesn't have insurance, i assume they are not covered by my policy. So if my horse throws them off and damages a car, Is my public liability not valid as it only covers me as the rider or is the public liability part against the horse. I'm confused. Surely there must be lots of people who have a one off ride on friends horses. What happens if it goes wrong and they get injured. Should I therefore only let someone ride my horse if they have there own rider insurance, or I have to say that you can ride my horse, but at your own risk, but if you fall off and get injured you can't sue me as its at your risk.

I would ring your insurance company and ask them to clarify. I think the fact it only covers you as the rider means that if someone else was riding this would void the public liability.

My insurance covers me or anyone with my express permission to handle or ride my horse, def worth checking your policy docs

Mine covers me and anyone with permission.
If yours doesn't it would mean you are not covered.

Yes I do have one of rides but either I am covered or they are. Sad state of affairs really. It never used to cross my mind xx years back.

I rode friends horse and two horses belonging to people on NR before I had any insurance. I rode at my own risk. And not on any roads. No one bothered about litigation in hose days.

You need to clarify the third party cover for your horse as it could be you are not covered adequately. Unfortunately there is no way you can exclude someone suing you for injury when riding your horse, that is why RS insurance is so expensive and record keeping so detailed!!

newrider.com