Insurance for older horses!!

Piaffe

Banned
Dec 20, 2001
Surrey,England
Visit site
I will try not to rant and rave - but I've just recently had cause to claim on my horse insurance, only to be told that my horse is too 'old' to be covered for that particular injury.

When I telephoned the company in question to ask exactly what my horse was covered for (under vets fees), I was told 'visible external injury'. when I questioned this further, I was told that he'd be covered for cuts!!!!!! But not if they got infected! - WHAT IS THE POINT OF BEING INSURED FOR VETS FEES????

I've been paying my premiums for six years and never claimed. my horse is over 15 yrs old, so considered a higher risk. I am not even covered for major surgery (which was a main concern of mine). I know I should have third party cover, so will have to continue with insurance.

Can anyone out there recommend an insurance company with a little more sympathy than my current one, for older horses? I was so annoyed I wrote a strong but polite letter to the company, as I felt that they were condoning unnecessary euthanasia of older horses for those owners who could not possibly afford to pay vets fees for treatment, as they weren't covered under their insurance policy.

I now have a rather large bill, which luckily I can pay, but why should I when I've been paying my premiums for so long!!!!

any advice or suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated, as I will not be renewing with my current company.

Piaffe

My horse hit '30 something' this year which means he is not even covered for external cuts ! However, I too have kept him insured in case he gets out of his field and something happens. Make sure they know you only want 3rd party liability as its much cheaper. He does not go anywhere, so tack etc (yes he still gets ridden occasionally) is covered under the household policy.

Hopefully the insurance companies will catch up with the new millenium and realise that horses are working and competing to much higher ages, but are healthier- so they need to slide all the scales up a tad.

Equestrian Direct do better cover for older horses, although it's still not great. They have a website, I think it's just www.equestriandirect.co.uk or something similar anyway. I have a friend that is insured with them and they paid out for her horse (I think her horse is 16) when she had to claim due to some kind of virus/suspected grass sickness (horse made a full recovery).

I really think that insurance companies need to review the age at which they consider a horse to be a veteran as it isn't the same now as it was 10 or 20 years ago. I know many horses that are over the age of 20 and are still going out and competing at local shows, doing long hacks, etc without any problems yet they're considered past it for insurance purposes.

Loads will now cover full vets fees up to their 21st birthday. Shop around, the premiums may be a little higher and you might need to get a 2 point vet cert for some of them. My pony had full cover with Just Equestrian and she was well over 15. My friend had her horse insured for full cover with Pet Plan up to 21, then they go to aciidental injury only. She is with either Equestrian Direct or Just Equestrian now (can't remember which) because they give cover for accidental external injury AND colic surgery.

Thanks everyone,

I think I saw Equestrian Direct on the web and that they cover for colic surgery - so I think that will be my best bet.

I wouldn't mind paying higher premiums if I was adequately covered. As you all quite rightly say, horses over 20 are still going strong now and competing, hacking etc. My horse is 20 and we still ride out on fast hacks for hours and hours, do local shows, sponsored rides, jump, gallop etc. He is more lively now than when I first got him at 14!!!

Artemis, I don't really want to mention the name of the company I'm with, but needless to say, it hasn't been mentioned here yet!!

I can't believe they limit dogs as well!! Some dogs can live far longer than eight, depending on breed!!

If someone could come up with an insurance company that dealt only with the older animals, they'd make a million!!

Quite agree its time they updated their rules. My first pony is still going at 34, apart from laminitis and arthritis my sister has never had the vet out to her. In fact I think during her whole life I cannot recall getting the vet out.

My daughter's pony who is rising 15 is currently in the Equine Hospital due to this hard lump I mentioned earlier.

We are waiting for biopsy results, he is only covered for surgery unless it is to save his life, which it will be if the results are benign. Cover is for £1000 only. This is the first time in his life that he has ever needed the vet.

newrider.com