Insurance Help Please

Chloe92x

Aug 30, 2013
Hi all,

Can you please tell me who you use for insurance and what you have covered as I'm shopping around and don't know where to start?! Haha..

Thanks in advance :) x

I have just insured my new pony with KBIS as they seemed to offer the best coverage for the most reasonable price, and have a good reputation.

I had my horse with Scottish Equestrian for 3 years. Last year I had a huge claim and they paid out with no fuss at all. I was covered for every activity except very high level eventing, combined training and hunting I think. No tack cover, no loss of use and no alternative therapies. I also didn't have cover for hospitalisation (so the livery bill if your horse is taken in by a vet hospital) but I would recommend taking that out because it can get expensive! Their premium was reasonable for the cover I had however when it came to renewal I couldn't downgrade my horses value (she is now only capable of very light hacking in walk) or class of use so she was still covered for competitions etc which she is not capable of so I switched to PetPlan who are underwritten by the same people. I would avoid AmTrust, a friend had massive problems with them.

I'm with pet plan. Covered for vet bills only. Class of use up to low level comps which we don't do but had it as you never know one day we might. No loss of use or tack cover. Reasonable price but never had to use them so far so couldn't say what they are like with paying out.

I'm with Julie Andrews who also use Scottish Equestrian. Not had to claim but the cover seems good and the premiums are reasonable. Just get a few quotes and check for excesses and total payouts per episode etc.....

Im with NFU, paid out with my claim no problem, with large bills at either end of the 12months i could claim for, no exclusion on the leg either.... they are expensive but were the only ones willing to cover my tack when I phoned around, which is very secure but not with a five bar mortice lock or whatever ridiculous system some of the others required to cover it.

newrider.com