Intro dressage vs ridden showing

EBox

Sep 4, 2016
Hi I'm thinking of entering into either an intro dressage test or ridden showing with my 5yo share. I haven't done any showing etc with him before so where is the best way to find out what's on locally so I can go and check it all out??? Tia

I fine the horse dates website is normally really good for finding local events, or ask in your local tack/feed shop :)

Try your local tack shops for a What's on type magazine. In the Midlands we have Central Horse News and another I can't remember the name of. They are both free and are usually just in a pile on the counter where you pay.

I would certainly recommend intro dressage before showing although both are good experiences for a young horse they are more likely to be overexcited by working in a group than doing solo test. Also look for shows doing specific new horse./rider classes where they do not canter together.

Brill thanks will check those out! Great advice re intro dressage first, in my head I though showing would be less pressure but hadn't really thought of it being a group thing so thanks.
Can anyone answer whether it would acceptable to go to a local show to help someone out and take my horse along as well to just have a gentle walk round and see how he reacts to the environment?? Or do you have to be entering a competition to take a horse there??? Thanks

we often used to take the youngsters along to see the sights of the show, although some set rules about riding round the show field you can always lead. Its brilliant experience for them.

Brill thanks will check those out! Great advice re intro dressage first, in my head I though showing would be less pressure but hadn't really thought of it being a group thing so thanks.
Can anyone answer whether it would acceptable to go to a local show to help someone out and take my horse along as well to just have a gentle walk round and see how he reacts to the environment?? Or do you have to be entering a competition to take a horse there??? Thanks
Have my secretaries hat on here. Just check with show secretary before you take a horse or pony to a show if you are not doing a class. It may well invalidate any ins if your horse/pony is involved in an accident. Usually you put name, address etc and sign that you adhere to the rules and regs of the show when you enter a class. If you are going to for a look then this wont happen.

newrider.com