Introducing...

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Fairytale Dapper Dan
FB_IMG_1520699013783.jpg FB_IMG_1520699010083.jpg
11 year old shetland, I'm guessing at 30" as he's a little shorter than hank :) he's super quiet and affectionate, though very scraggy, lacking muscle and has quite a crest. But he loaded easily, travelled well and had a little look about, a roll, a few little calls and settled to his net :)

Ooh congratulations he’s a sweety. Surprised you only came back with one though ;)
The one with one eye sold yesterday (I felt sorry for him), the other was a bit nippy, had a bit of a roach back and wasnt so cute and was 15.

Dan was the one that caught my eye in the pics, then sold, then available again so it was meant to be :)

He looks lovely and think Dan is a great name. He's lucky to of found a home with you :)

Reactions: Jessey
I gave him some tea and fussed about while he ate (on purpose) and he was good as gold. He was wormed earlier too.

His coat is manky, Hank's coat is fluffy and soft, Dan's is heavy and dirty feeling, so a thorough groom is in order and I think I'll hit him with some louse powder for good measure. I'm excited to see what kind of a pony is under all that coat :)

Apparently, if I pick up a front leg and bring it forward and tell him up, he will put front feet on my shoulders :eek: I saw the other one do it but not him, guess i'll try it out at some point.

Oh he is a cutie, has Hank paid much attention to him?
Hank spent an hour charging up and down the fence line, so pretty interested :p I would love to just stick them in together tomorrow but I am trying to be sensible so he is in his own paddock and will be seperated for 2 weeks quarantine, he doesn't look in any way poorly or infectious but it's better to be safe than sorry.

people dont ever think shetlands can be poor and scraggy. ive actually got a couple that are hard to keep condition on!

people dont ever think shetlands can be poor and scraggy. ive actually got a couple that are hard to keep condition on!
Dan was apparently obese when the lady got him, which I believe was July 2017, so I don't know (though his crest would suggest he's possibly been very overweight). He's a blank canvas with me, good nutrition and some tlc will hopefully give him what he needs then I'll manage it as necessary :)

Very very cute! What a lucky bit to find a home with you. Hope he settles in well.

He is so cute. Are you planning to drive him or is he just to be a companion?
I'm okay with either, if he could be driven with Hank that would be a bit of fun but if not I'm not too bothered :)

Dan is a nice little chap, he calls me a lot, when I walk to him and when I walk away which is sweet, but thus far he doesn't have much about him but hopefully his personality will come out once he's more settled in. I tried to pick his feet out yesterday and he got very confused, I was saying 'up' and he kept turning to me and trying to rear (he's trained to put his feet on your shoulders apparently) so we spent a few minutes trying to figure out his command to just hold 1 foot up, we kind of got it, he's good with the back feet but did nip at me when I tried the front right, I am sure it was just miscommunication between us, we will get there :) He did really enjoy a good scratchy brush though, he was all wiggly lipped :D he had dreadlocks in his armpit hair and matts behind his ears so I sorted all that and trimmed his tail out of the mud and his beard so it doesn't get wet every time he drinks. I did find he's never learnt to lead off of his mane, so that's a work on progress now as I'm too lazy to get a head collar out every time I want to do something with them :p

newrider.com