Is £5000 too much

Caritay

Jun 6, 2008
YO contacted me tonight saying he had found the perfect horse for me. :)Warmblood gelding, 11 year old, 16.2hh. Genuine, all rounder. £5000 ono.
I would love a horse like this but I just havent got that type of money. I said thanks but was looking around the £2500 mark as this would be my first horse and cannot afford £5000. He said i wouldnt get a horse for that amount. :eek:
Does anyone think that £5000 is a lot to spend on a first horse?
How much was your first horse?

I think 2.5k would find you a good horse... Just take someone experienced in horse buying with you.. get a vetting and if a dealer do some asking around first.

My best buy was a Sec D, 15hh could put your grandma on him! Was £1850 as the ladys husband had sadly deceased and she wasnt coping with her 4 horses.

There are bargins out there, and ones very overpriced. For 5k I would want something very very special. Especially at this time of year with winter fast approaching. Is also a buyers market at the moment.

I think £5000 is alot for a first horse. Personally I think a horse for the £5000 marker will be one that has done well at competing or has really good bloodlines. Look at other horses on horsemart etc for that kind of money, and then you'll get an idea as to what you get for £5000.

I never bought my first horse, I had her on loan and then was given her. However I think around £2500 is a good budget. Remember if you buy a perfect horse then you are not going to learn anything :D

Hope this helps.

I think 5000 GBP is a pretty reasonable price for that. Maybe slightly overpriced, but not much. But then, all rounder Warmbloods are going for high prices around here. Maybe not over there, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at that price for one here.

i think that is alot for your first horse, i have 4 and what i paid for them doesnt amount to that.

my most expensive was 1500 and i love him to bits, i did have to fatten him up and sort out a few issues, but who wants readymade perfect? its sorting the issues out that helps you bond:)

My first horse was £1400 with a full wardrobe... I've had him 8years.

kcsfonepiccys111.jpg

I certainly wouldn't pay 5k for a horse, ever ever ever.

After having Nim for 1400 and Lantern for free...

(Lantern...)
DSC03714.jpg

I couldn't justify it lol!

What's he done to make him worth £5k? I'm selling my boy who is a saint, and a great all rounder/fun horse who is 7 years old for £2,250!

My YO didnt have all the details but that he was from a dealer and that he is bombproof etc I dont deny this horse is probably worth the money but just too expensive for me. I mainly want to have fun and go out on hacks, improve my riding so lots of schooling and possibly later on get into dressage. Your horse sounds fab why are you selling?

My YO didnt have all the details but that he was from a dealer and that he is bombproof etc I dont deny this horse is probably worth the money but just too expensive for me. I mainly want to have fun and go out on hacks, improve my riding so lots of schooling and possibly later on get into dressage. Your horse sounds fab why are you selling?

I broke my back earlier in the year riding a friends youngster. :( It reared up and flipped over backwards with me. I thought I could cope keeping my boy at grass but I'm still in physio, winter is approaching and I find that even walking up to the field to see him is difficult. It's awful because he's my dream horse and I know I'm going to regret it but I have to do what's best for us both. I don't believe in loaning either.

Here's his ad if you want to use it as a bit of a marker. I think he's priced fairly, but with the amount of interest I've had I know I could have upped the price. I'd rather he went to a good home though and at least if there is a lot of interest I can choose where he goes. I think he'll be gone by the weekend as someone is having him vetted tomorrow.

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_20263

I broke my back earlier in the year riding a friends youngster. :( It reared up and flipped over backwards with me. I thought I could cope keeping my boy at grass but I'm still in physio, winter is approaching and I find that even walking up to the field to see him is difficult. It's awful because he's my dream horse and I know I'm going to regret it but I have to do what's best for us both. I don't believe in loaning either.

Here's his ad if you want to use it as a bit of a marker. I think he's priced fairly, but with the amount of interest I've had I know I could have upped the price. I'd rather he went to a good home though and at least if there is a lot of interest I can choose where he goes. I think he'll be gone by the weekend as someone is having him vetted tomorrow.

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_20263

Oh no im sorry to hear about your accident. Had a look at your ad and he is just what I would be looking for, absolutely gorgeous, so there is hope out there after all. :) I dont doubt for a second that he will be snapped up quickly and it shows you are a good mum for keeping the price realistic so you can choose the right home for him :D

hi there

my first (and only) horse was 1250 -- that was in 2003

to buy him now i'd expect to pay no more that 3000 with a full wardrobe including leather saddle

he's an 8yr old heavy cob who is used for hacking and fun--he can jump ad has been schooled with a view to doing dressage

he is a good wight carrier -good to box - shoe -etc etc

for a first horse and the uses you describe i'd think you could get a good one for 2500.00

so don't be put off by YO and keep looking

100_0415.jpg

this is a good time of year to be buying:)

good luck

Last edited:
Well, this was the best £80 my dad ever spent on me. We were together for 28yrs......oh, and he came with tack, no rugs tho, coz they werent invented then.............:p

Sandy3.jpg

and praecelsus

so sorry to hear this -- when did you suffer your break ? only asking cos i broke mine on boxing day and am now back riding (though only weekly and for short peroids of time)--it's been a long hard slog but is def improving --

it'd be a shame to lose your dream boy if a bit more time would make a difference -- i wish you all the best in your recovery --its a very painful and depressing thing to have to go through

£5,000 for an allrounder that will do a bit of everything AND be safe as a first horse (in other words a school master) is not overpriced.

If you are looking for a first horse purely to hack and not to carry you around your first xc/sj, then you probably could find one for £3000 or less.

Yes, there are bargains around, but as a first time horse owner are you experienced enough to spot them? You only have to research threads on this site to see many a bargain turn into a first owners nightmare!

On the other side of the coin, many people have spent much more money and STILL end up with a nightmare!

My advice would be choose someone experienced you trust, that knows you and your capabilities, and take them horse shopping with you. It may cost you a bit to employ them, but it coud save you a whole lot more!

:)£5000 is a lot of money for a first horse,i wouldnt spend that much,not when you can get some really nice horses for half that price and at the moment there are some lovely horses for sale.:)

A lot of horses with so called 'issues' you can get very cheaply - especially if they cn be a safe hack.
I agree with whoever already said it, that sorting a horses problems out is part of the bonding process...
BUT
unless you have been riding a lot of years and have a lot of knowledge and experience, I wouldn't take on too much of a project!! Once your confidence is knocked, it can be hard to get it back...

ETA: PS - go to horsemart.co.uk and click on the left 'All Horses For Sale'. Let that load and then click 'Refine Your Search' under all the page numbers...
Here you can enter as much or as little criteria as you want, including location. So you can see what's available out there for you.
I usually put the heights min and max, the ages min and max, and the budget I have...occasionally I put areas in, if I want to look locally...
Let us know how you get on in your search

Last edited:
I think £5k is a lot but it depends on what you want.

I've only ever bought 2 horses, and I like a challenge!

Bi 15.2hh TB chestnut mare around 20yo when I bought her for the price of her saddle!! Great horse taught me a lot

Lou 16.1hh (ish not really sure!) TB bay mare, bought at 13yo for £300. A few issues with behaviour but a star now. Oh go on then, let's have a picture...

I've only posted this pic a million times on here. Can you tell it's one of my favorites?!

I think £5k is a lot but it depends on what you want.

I've only ever bought 2 horses, and I like a challenge!

Bi 15.2hh TB chestnut mare around 20yo when I bought her for the price of her saddle!! Great horse taught me a lot

Lou 16.1hh (ish not really sure!) TB bay mare, bought at 13yo for £300. A few issues with behaviour but a star now. Oh go on then, let's have a picture...

I've only posted this pic a million times on here. Can you tell it's one of my favorites?!
Wow your horse can fly! He looks fantastic. I will keep looking for the right horse in the price bracket I can afford. Not experienced with lets say high spirted horses so will take one of my instructors along, if I see any I seriously like. :rolleyes::D Watch this space!

newrider.com