Is 5 hours at grass a day sufficient?

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
OK, after my horse being utterly vile in his behaviour over the weekend, I kept him off the grass and hey presto - he's much more like his usual self today. So, that answers that - however, he needs sometime at grass doesn't he? So, if I put him out on the grass for say 4 - 5 hours a day, rather than the usual 14, will that be sufficient? Of course, hay will be available outside of this for him. He is soooo complicated!!!!!!!!!

The amount of time spent out at grass shouldn't affect his behaviour that much; some horses go a little bit silly when the spring grass first comes through due to increased fructans, but it's not a personality transplant and it's short lived.
IMO, five hours at grass and nineteen hours stabled isn't fair. If you plan to do five hours at grass and the rest in an arena/hardstanding with hay and another horse/pony then that's ok, but standing in a box on his own for nineteen hours will do him no good at all.

Agree with Midnight Ashes - if you have access to an all weather turnout area and can have a companion with him and a net then that would be a substitute of sorts, but I feel that more turnout than 5 hours is needed, even in the depths of winter if you can. Our pair don't go into the field when the weather is vile in Dec / Jan - but they do have about 8 hours in the school with ad lib hay / hayledge and each other for company.
Is this bad behaviour recent? I would look to other areas - most horses improve with more turnout, not less.

Just sounds like he had a bit of a sugar rush :D! Start with your 5 hours on grass and increase day by day until he's out 24/7 (or what ever you wish).

This helps with the bacteria in his gut too, to deal with the extra juicy sweet stuff bit by bit.

19hrs IS a long time to stand in a stable everyday but, be pragmatic, it's not going to be forever so if he has to do this for 5 days and then he gets proper turnout, it's the lesser of two evils.

IMO, five hours at grass and nineteen hours stabled isn't fair. If you plan to do five hours at grass and the rest in an arena/hardstanding with hay and another horse/pony then that's ok, but standing in a box on his own for nineteen hours will do him no good at all.

oh please tel that to my livery yard as its started to get to me! - The horse I share is on livery during the week/DIY weekends - the whole yard get turned out at about 11am ( yes, horses are just standing in their boxes BORED for about 3 hours with no hay after having brekkie, some weaving because they're so bored) - Then they're bought in at 4-4.30pm ( earlier in Winter).

When its DIY at weekends for me, I have to turn out/bring in at those exact times ( starting to pee me off ) - its just so regimented! and I dont think they get enough T/O.
So in answer to your question, i think 4/5 perhaps isnt quiet enough. Is his behaviour just gotton bad just recently? Spring grass does send some horses a bit loopy but Its short lived. My mare can be an angel one day and a total nightmare the next. I like the idea of horses being out as much as possible though - could never keep my own horse at the yard im at now.

No - he's never stabled at any time of the year. I have a large yard and barn which is where he is when he's not actually at grass.

I'd almost stake my life on the fact that his sudden bad behaviour is grass related as it literally started at the end of last week which was the first time in literally five weeks that our grazing saw any real rain at all, and no surprsie we had spring flushes. He was a horror (he is quite sharp normally, but this was him adamant to do things his way and then kicking off big time if I wouldn't let him). Today he was entirely his normal self, and worked beautifully as well.

Frayne cannot go out at grass at all in spring/summer, even with a muzzle on. She goes footy, so it is better for her to stay in on the yard with hay. The ponies live in a large cattle shed with yard attached, and her companion goes out in the field next to the yard during the day so they can see each other.

They are both happy with this and it means she stays healthy.

Ali xx

may be magnesium deficiency as new grass may be short so magnesium in feed may counter this.

as for turnout.

well some horses dont like being turned out, we have one that just stands by the gate and goes mental until you bring it in.

plus we have some that only go out for 4 hours a day, stabled rest of time.

most have 6 - 9 hours turnout.

its whatever works for you, as long as hey have access to forage most cope fine.

Most horses on my yard have 5 hrs a day turnout. They are all very happy with this, most of them being homebred and having had this routine most of their lives. Y/O has 15 horses to see to on her own, so she doesn't catch them from the fields, just opens the gates and shouts them and they all trot up and put themselves in their stables! I don't think they'd do this if they really hated coming in.

I know the accepted view is more turnount = better but horses on my yard are the happiest bunch I've ever met - no health/behavioural problems (most of the time!) and very settled and confident.

That said though, they do have a very long-running routine. Your horse might not cope so well if he is going to be on the yard on his own or has never been stabled before.

newrider.com