Is anyone good at ageing a horse from an advert??

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Probably a stupid question, but there is a horse advert I like the look of but an experienced person that I showed the picture to, does not believe that it is the age it says. She thinks it's more like 18yrs than the 13yrs stated.

Are there any age experts out there that could give me their opinion please? :redface: Or is it just impossible to gauge from a few photographs?

If you're up for it, PM me and I'll PM you the link. I don't really want to do it publically as I'd hate its owner to catch wind of this - it could be perfectly true for all I know (and I hope it is!!)

I think its hard to tell. My abby looks accient! She has grey everwhere, mahoosive dents over eyes, awful teeth. But she is grey due to it being old sweet itch scar patches, she is shire x and even the babies have eye dents, some say thats an old wives tale? And her teeth are awful due to not being look after. So i think it is hard and there can be plenty of reasons why a horse may look older. Sorry prob does not really help. I always get excited when i see a post from you, i think yes shes found one! Awful to hear your having a rough time but everything crossed from us here! :happy:

Personally I'd say you really couldn't tell just from photographs. With a youngster maybe, because you expect certain physical characteristics at a certain age - but with a horse in its teens I just don't think you could tell. Aging a fully-matured adult horse is difficult enough in the flesh, let alone from photos, because so much of how old they look depends on their condition, breed/type, the type of work they do and so on.

In any case, I don't think an 18-year-old would be any more or less suitable for you than a 13-year-old. Going on the fact that you are looking for a quiet horse suitable for a nervous/novice rider, a horse in any stage of its teens is likely to have a decent amount of experience under its belt.

In any case, I don't think an 18-year-old would be any more or less suitable for you than a 13-year-old. Going on the fact that you are looking for a quiet horse suitable for a nervous/novice rider, a horse in any stage of its teens is likely to have a decent amount of experience under its belt.

Absolutely agree. I have no problem with an 18 year old - I'd rather that than a 4 year old (rightly or wrongly!)

I guess it should just be reflected in the price though.

Ditto the others - almost impossible to tell from photos. My Dolly looks ancient cause she's out of condition, overweight and has a long coat whereas Nelly looks like a gangly baby and there's only 4 years between them (10 and 6).

I don't think anyone could tell a13yo from an 18yo from a picture....it is only in late 20s that horses often start to look old generally. However I know a horse that looks very aged I would guess late 20s whos owner is certain he is only16.

Dont think you can even tell having the horse in front of you, my vets all 3 of them and intructor told me they thought LL looked 18 not 23.......

Teeth arent much help either at that age. When was it passported ?, how many owners has it had. If you can contact the person who passported it they might be able to shed some light on it. Does it have dam and sire on the passport as you could then go back to the breeder ?

Im often dubious of passports that were done after 2004 ie 2008 but the horse is "15", so where had it been between 04-08 ???? Hmmmmmmm

Many years ago i was looking after an older horse, the yard was holding a show one day and a very well known and respected judge came to ask me if i was entering.

I replied to say that i was thinking about entering in the senior in hand classes but wasnt sure she was up to it.
He laughed totally bemused and said 'why and earth would you not put her in that class she looks in great shape?'

Erm because she is 30 and has very little eyesight!

He looked completely shocked and said he thought she may be in her late teens but never 30.

Ah ok guys, thank you. Looks like I shouldn't pay her too much attention then and the viewing is still on!! Eeeek!

Teeth arent much help either at that age. When was it passported ?, how many owners has it had. If you can contact the person who passported it they might be able to shed some light on it. Does it have dam and sire on the passport as you could then go back to the breeder ?

Im often dubious of passports that were done after 2004 ie 2008 but the horse is "15", so where had it been between 04-08 ???? Hmmmmmmm

Thats a real shame that the teeth won't be much use - I was thinking that at least a vet would be able to tell if I had it vetted!!

I'll have a good look at the passport if I can - presumably dealers are ok with that? I'm sorry LL, you've lost me on the after 2004 example. I'm afraid I dont know much about what the rules have been with regards to them. Could people just create their own without getting its age verified at one point then??

The vet will be able to give you a guestimate from the teeth, as others have said it would be nigh on impossible to tell from a pic.

There are always loads of factors to consider and if the pic is a recent one with winter woolies on then it'll be even harder, both of mine look like swamp ponies when they get their long coats! Or poss if the horse has lost a little condition over winter this can give an aged look?

Can't wait to hear how the viewing goes!

I disagree personally :eek: I mean, I suppose you can tell on some horses, roughly what age they are but like others have said, once over a certain age, it's pretty hard to tell..

For example, here is a couple of pictures of my friends boy, taken in the past year!

fred1.jpg

fredcanter.jpg

I bet no one would guess he is 31 years of age soon :)

I disagree personally :eek: I mean, I suppose you can tell on some horses, roughly what age they are but like others have said, once over a certain age, it's pretty hard to tell..

For example, here is a couple of pictures of my friends boy, taken in the past year!

fred1.jpg

fredcanter.jpg

I would swap the numbers and say more like 13 !

I'm sorry LL, you've lost me on the after 2004 example. I'm afraid I dont know much about what the rules have been with regards to them. Could people just create their own without getting its age verified at one point then??

Pasports were introduced in 2004. My example with LL was she was pasported in 2007 stating she was 15, but where had she been from 04-07 with no passport. The vet who did the vetting was 5 years out on the age and aged her at 15 but she was actually over 20.

She was bought and sold locally but her age and lack of passport was never questioned.

:eek: :eek: Wow!!! 31?!! He looks amazing!!!

Thanks LL - I get it now! :smile:

newrider.com