Is Horseback Riding a Sport?

Well, most of the time you spend with horses is spent mucking out, grooming, catching in and out etc. And then you have to nurse them through illness etc. So I think that anytime I get to ride on my horse is actually a well earned rest.

Well if you are wanting people to say no you have come to the wrong place :p
Riding most certainly is a sport. What makes you think it isn't?
For me Horseback Riding is a hobby, sport & a lifestyle rolled into one. But i can't understand why people says Horseback Riding is not a sport!

Reactions: Huggy
Oh well some people say it's because the rider just sits there and the horse does all the work. Which just proves that they know bog all about it and therefore their opinion is irrelevant to me :p
To be fair, when I ride Ben at the moment all I do is sit there! We are walking out in straight lines at his pace so there is very little input from me.

Assuming you are sitting correctly, and not flopping around like a bag of potatoes, then yes, you are "doing something".

I had to google the definition of 'Sport' which is:

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

So unless you are competing (in any discipline) I don't think you can call it a sport, although the physical exertion of having a lesson, schooling or hacking out might be more than you would expend in a competition. By the same token you couldn't call Yoga, Pilates or going to the gym a sport, just an activity.

I suppose it depends how pedantic you want to be :p

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I suppose the gym yoga etc are forms if exercise not sport.

There for me is the difference having played a lot of sport I now do a lot of exercise.

I would call hacking and lessons exercise but then again I have never got out of breath doing either. But I compete most weekends so that would be sport

Well I would term it a sport, mainly because I've lost nearly a stone since I started riding again! That could just be poo picking, grooming etc though! :p

That’s debatable! I feel like a complete beginner again as all my muscles have turned to jelly after such a long time off riding.

I remember when I got buddy and hadn't ridden for 8 years and had no muscle at all. It was appalling. But 5 years on, we can go out for 2 hours, do fun rides in large groups and be reasonably presentable so you will get it back.

newrider.com