Is it his age or the change in management?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
This is just general musings, apologies in advance!

Ale is 16 according to his passport. When I got him he was vetted at 3-4 and that was 10 year's ago this year. So he's somewhere between 13 and 16 now.

Last year or so I've really noticed such a change in character in him. He's far more obedient, cuddly (sometimes) and just seems far more content with life and not like everyone wants to hurt/ take something from him.

Today he left me flabbergasted with the vet. Ale's always a little suspicious of men and obviously vets and he's always been head shy around the eyes and mouth. I've worked hard on getting his eye drops in over the last few weeks but he's still a little fussy and I have to make sure I restrain him.

Anyway the male vet nicely said hello to ale and let him sniff him. And then he proceeded to do a full eye exam on him, administer drops etc without even holding onto his head collar. Ale just stood there!!

A couple of years ago when I had vets out to visit he'd be barging us all over the place desperate to get out of the stable. And always ears back at everything, every horse and person.

Today he just stood there head over the door ears pricked, he just seems so chilled. Wondering if he's mellowing in his old age or he's just in a routine that suits him?

Pic as a reward for reading all that!
Screenshot_2019-01-23-12-40-17.png

Could be partly the vet just standing there and letting Ale sniff him. That is what I do. I think of it just like good manners. John Lyons is very emphatic about politeness with horses. Unfortunately it takes time which busy yard staff rarely have. People say horses like me, but they dont like me personally. it is the way I behave. Same when you mount, you just sit and get a feel for the horse and let him relax.
I doubt if it is age unless you are underfeeding him. My old share was grossly bad tempered.And famous for it.

and added. Old people tend to get ratty too.

I think some do change a little in that they become more trusting and also laid back. For example, Storm is stil quite the madam over her food and lots of her other characteristics have not altered. But I did notice a few years ago she has become way more tolerant of procedures and also in general she is so lovely to handle - she will let us do more or less anything! She is also much more touchy feely than she used to be. I don't know if it is just because she's settled and happy? Maybe the same with Ale? Don't get me wrong lol she can still do some pretty impressive spooks but most people do comment about how nice she is to handle on the ground.
I'm so glad Ale was okay with the vet btw.

Reactions: MrA
Jess will be 16 in a couple of months, She's as wily as ever! She is very good with vets tho, if something is wrong she will let them do virtually anything, but always has done that.

Ben is 15 now but he is exactly the same as he has always been. He is very quiet and sensible, but at the same time is very untrusting of new people. Very much like me actually!

I am glad that Ale is chilled out. That's what we all want as owners.

Could be partly the vet just standing there and letting Ale sniff him. That is what I do. I think of it just like good manners. John Lyons is very emphatic about politeness with horses. Unfortunately it takes time which busy yard staff rarely have. People say horses like me, but they dont like me personally. it is the way I behave. Same when you mount, you just sit and get a feel for the horse and let him relax.
I doubt if it is age unless you are underfeeding him. My old share was grossly bad tempered.And famous for it.

and added. Old people tend to get ratty too.
I always hugely appreciate those people who just take a moment to introduce themselves. I can see in his eyes that it makes the world of difference and his whole body language relaxes. I actually had a female vet recently and Ale is usually absolutely fine with women but it was so tense, she did come and say hi but he just took some sort of disliking to her. Or perhaps he was just having a bad day!

I think some do change a little in that they become more trusting and also laid back. For example, Storm is stil quite the madam over her food and lots of her other characteristics have not altered. But I did notice a few years ago she has become way more tolerant of procedures and also in general she is so lovely to handle - she will let us do more or less anything! She is also much more touchy feely than she used to be. I don't know if it is just because she's settled and happy? Maybe the same with Ale? Don't get me wrong lol she can still do some pretty impressive spooks but most people do comment about how nice she is to handle on the ground.
I'm so glad Ale was okay with the vet btw.
Sounds exactly like Ale, he does still have his moments but they are predictable now. Before he would change in a instant from lovely to aggressive with no reason. Now it's only if he's pushed. He does just seem content with life I suppose.

Reactions: Trewsers
People said that he would become harder to handle living out and not getting the interaction of being led and ridden etc on a daily basis.

I bring him in from the field every few weeks and I do his feet and brush him in the field but he's never tied up or restrained.

But his manners seem better than ever, he will walk patiently by my side even if the other horses are running about, he opens his mouth for the bit, lowers his head for a headcollar and doesn't pull me to food. 2nd time he's been in a stable in a year and everytime I opened the door he backed up politely, wheras he used to always barge. It's just very interesting and a lovely change if I'm honest!

People said that he would become harder to handle living out and not getting the interaction of being led and ridden etc on a daily basis.

I bring him in from the field every few weeks and I do his feet and brush him in the field but he's never tied up or restrained.

But his manners seem better than ever, he will walk patiently by my side even if the other horses are running about, he opens his mouth for the bit, lowers his head for a headcollar and doesn't pull me to food. 2nd time he's been in a stable in a year and everytime I opened the door he backed up politely, wheras he used to always barge. It's just very interesting and a lovely change if I'm honest!

Ours are rarely tied up but they don't seem to have lost any manners. It sounds like Ale is doing great and very content with his lifestyle.

This is so nice to read. The natural lifestyle obviously suits him.

newrider.com