Is it too much for 1 day?

Sunshine

May 25, 2020
Chesterfiled
Hi there I took my boy on a 45 min hack this am... he was back in the field by 11am mainly walking some hills and a bit of trot... Will he be ok for a lesson this evening in which he will be doing ground work and poles with my 10yr old... no cantering just walk and trot again.

We ride 3/4 a week usually so he’s not that unfit but does need to shift some timber..

He’s got a good 6/7 hrs between rides.

It’s not to much for 1 day is it.. ( it’s not like we do this every day )

He'll be fine. Wish I only had to work that many hours to make a living.

He may be a little surprised if he's not used to being ridden twice a day, but don't let him kid you that he's way too tired to do anything - tell him he's lucky not to be a RS horse because he'd have to put far more hours in!

Reactions: Sunshine
That’s what I thought.... he’s had enough time to rest this morning and afternoon.. before going again later... he was sweaty after our hack but he cooled off with my daughter riding him back then sponged down... I didn’t think it’d be too much but one of the yard know it alls passed comment. Of course it’s not too much, he lives his hacks and lessons x

Just another way for her to knock my confidence as an owner I think. But I was super proud of him this morning on our first off road hack

Attachments

• 9C609286-058A-4BF8-B640-DF46FC277514.jpeg
    9C609286-058A-4BF8-B640-DF46FC277514.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 12
If your not doing it all the time he should be fine. Some horses do 2 hr hacks at a time anyway. You might find he stiffens up a bit and is a little tired for your daughter riding him.

I will often ride late one evening, then early next morning so about 12 hours apart.

He'll be fine - it's no more than if you had just done a longer hack or been to an all day clinic (significantly less, in fact most likely ;) ).

I often had to exercise my native twice a day to help with weight management.

If your not doing it all the time he should be fine. Some horses do 2 hr hacks at a time anyway. You might find he stiffens up a bit and is a little tired for your daughter riding him.

I will often ride late one evening, then early next morning so about 12 hours apart.

He’s only 11 so should have stamina.. if he’s a bit quiet won’t be bad as he can be a handful for my daughter at times... thank you for your advise x

Lovely pics, he's a handsome boy! I hope you have some more supportive people on your yard, other than the one trying to knock your confidence. Sounds like you've got her measure though so take no notice, she's probably just jealous.

Lovely pics, he's a handsome boy! I hope you have some more supportive people on your yard, other than the one trying to knock your confidence. Sounds like you've got her measure though so take no notice, she's probably just jealous.

Oh yes! Lots of little comments re how I care for my horse... start dragging me down, that’s why I find this group so helpful and turn you you guys for advise.
I am a total novice with horses and riding learning all the time and will always ask, we’ve only had him since Feb so not even 6months and we are doing it and I think quite well, having lessons, getting out alone on hacks ( which I think this yard bitch hates as took her a long time to get to that point). I just grit my teeth and ignor ( but I always check she’s not right) xx

Wow his face is so similar to my boy chunky. Except the white blaze on yours goes across to his eyes, but they both have that blond nose and black pigment similarly.
When i had my first boy i was new to horse ownership. Although i was well versed in cattle and sheep care, I was guided by the others at my yard on horse care. Fortunately it was only a small yard so no bitching to begin with. I listened and i learnt over time and found ways to look after my horse. I think after a while when i stopped asking for advice they didnt really like it. I think when i asked they felt they had control over me and how i looked after the horse. But when i stopped asking you got little comments made. Which for a sensitive person can be very demoralizing.

I have found great advice on here over the years. I think you have to listen and adapt to what suits you and who you are.

IMG_20180909_152307507_HDR.jpg

Oh yes! Lots of little comments re how I care for my horse... start dragging me down, that’s why I find this group so helpful and turn you you guys for advise.
I am a total novice with horses and riding learning all the time and will always ask, we’ve only had him since Feb so not even 6months and we are doing it and I think quite well, having lessons, getting out alone on hacks ( which I think this yard bitch hates as took her a long time to get to that point). I just grit my teeth and ignor ( but I always check she’s not right) xx

I once made a comment to my YO's OH about how little I knew about keeping a horse and having to ask all the time. His reply was a bit of a back-handed complement, but it made me feel better. He said "Yes, but at least you know you don't know - it's these folks that think they know everything that are dangerous." Wise words from a blunt Yorkshireman lol.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do 2 short sessions in a day, mine have definitely worked significantly harder/longer than that on a pretty regular basis. I suspect it’s just that most leisure owners only ride once a day so it feels out of sorts, but it isn’t.
Ignore the comments, I’ll repeat my favourite saying again (from someone on NR but I can’t remember who now); Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one!

Its usually obvious who's genuinely trying to help and who's just being a b****. I used to cherry pick the advice that was genuine. As for twice a day exercise - I wish I had time to exercise Hogan more than once - a 45 minute hack with a few hours break then more, would do him a power of good, fatty that he is!

Wow his face is so similar to my boy chunky. Except the white blaze on yours goes across to his eyes, but they both have that blond nose and black pigment similarly.
When i had my first boy i was new to horse ownership. Although i was well versed in cattle and sheep care, I was guided by the others at my yard on horse care. Fortunately it was only a small yard so no bitching to begin with. I listened and i learnt over time and found ways to look after my horse. I think after a while when i stopped asking for advice they didnt really like it. I think when i asked they felt they had control over me and how i looked after the horse. But when i stopped asking you got little comments made. Which for a sensitive person can be very demoralizing.

I have found great advice on here over the years. I think you have to listen and adapt to what suits you and who you are.

View attachment 102931

Oh he is lovely... very similar, I love my guys nose and droopy lips ... I love a coloured cob x

You have basically described the situation I feel I’m in... sadly it came to a bit of a head this evening and she had a pop at me about riding him this morning then an hours lesson, and my usual placid self was taken over by my irrational side and told her he was my horse and I do with him what I want and she can have her opinion but it is nothing to do with her...

Now for the awkward aftermath ??‍♀️

Reactions: Kite_Rider

View attachment 102931

Oh he is lovely... very similar, I love my guys nose and droopy lips ... I love a coloured cob x

You have basically described the situation I feel I’m in... sadly it came to a bit of a head this evening and she had a pop at me about riding him this morning then an hours lesson, and my usual placid self was taken over by my irrational side and told her he was my horse and I do with him what I want and she can have her opinion but it is nothing to do with her...

Now for the awkward aftermath ??‍♀️

Reactions: Kite_Rider
@Sunshine that's not be irrational, it's telling her how it is and she's lucky if you kept it that polite. It sounds like the situation was awkward before, I don't see why it should be any worse now.

Well it may go one of several ways now.
Either youll be left alone as you stood up to person, or theyll have a go more, or theyll snipe behind your back to try to get other liveries against you.

Just stay strong. I would quietly look for another yard or somewhere youve got only a couple of liveries if this has been going on a while now. You sound like you have enough knowledge to go it alone. Theres no point in being unhappy. You got your horse to enjoy with you and your family.

This week should have been my riding camp which would have been 2 1 hour lessons a day for 3 days. I normally ride 3 times a week, but I have done 3 of these camps with Harvey and neither of us found it a problem......

newrider.com