Is it worth a trip to Robinsons store?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I don't think there are many good horse shops near me in chessington, and I need a few things and miss going horsey shopping! Has anyone been to any of the Robinsons superstores?

Things I would like to buy..
Stock up on things like purple spray, fly spray, Kevin Bacon etc before summer
Supplements
Perhaps a new rug
Maybe hoof boots if they even do them there??
Id also like to look at bits and perhaps get some advice about them
new mucking out fork
Browband

Anyone been? Do they have a lot of things there, worth the journey?

Going to take me at least 2 hours to get there by train so want to make sure its actually worth it lol

Never been to one myself but you could maybe give the store a ring that your planning on going to to ask if they have the things in that your looking for,I always ring ahead if I want something to save going and been disappointed and having a wasted journey.

I go to the Ashton in Makerfield store - is that where you mean? I like it - and The Nosebag cafe do a mean chips n gravy snack too!!

Just wanted to add - you might like to go during the week rather than weekends as it can be manic!! The staff are lovely though and very helpful.

The one at Basingstoke where i go if passing with work is ok, find supplements and stuff much more expensive than online but their own brand lotions and potions are cheap and good and they have good range of rugs tack etc.. Small amount of advice i have had from there wasn't great though... Dont think they do hoof boots.

We used to come up to near you and fill the car up with feed and supplements at Surrey Equestrian, saved a small fortune on their sales nights too... Oh how i miss them...

I have been to three of them now and am always disappointed when I go - they are often out of stock for whatever I want and seem more expensive than online (though maybe I am more aware of my spending when I have to pay at a counter!!!)

I used to go to the one in ashton in makerfield when i lived near chester which i always thought was very good, that was a few years ago now though.

Last year i went to the one in cannock, i didnt think it was as good, never went again.

Are you meaning the one near Manchester? I'd go to that one for a visit. Wouldn't waste the petrol getting to the other smaller ones though.

I have been to three of them now and am always disappointed when I go - they are often out of stock for whatever I want and seem more expensive than online (though maybe I am more aware of my spending when I have to pay at a counter!!!)

Ditto.

When we went last time they didn't have the things on my list.

I live near a big Robinsons megastore and I'm not overly fussed about it. I do like some of their own brand products - especially the mane and tail conditioner, pig oil, purple spray etc. and their grooming brushes are cheap.

However, I don't really like their own brand of clothing and they are limited to what other brands they stock. I prefer to go to the smaller tack shops where you get a more personal approach and the staff know what they are talking about. Unfortunately all the small tack shops round my way have shut down since Robinsons opened.

I wouldn't bother travelling 2 hours to get to a Robinsons. I would just look on-line instead.

Never been to one myself but you could maybe give the store a ring that your planning on going to to ask if they have the things in that your looking for,I always ring ahead if I want something to save going and been disappointed and having a wasted journey.

This is a very good idea!

Hmm I wonder if there are any other horse shops near me as it doesn't sound like its worth the journey really.

As much as I love buying things online I resent paying postage!

I've been to the Cannock one a few times and generally come out empty-handed but that is more to do with the fact that I'm always skint rather than them not having anything in stock! :giggle:

I find them very disappointing!!

I would rather do to one of the larger private companies. We regularly go to Tower Farm in Rugby and regularly use Larkhill Saddlery (Staffordshire). Once went to a great one in Essex (Ingatestone?)when we loaned a horse to someone down there but best find of all was Prichards Saddlery in Llantrisant,,amazing place we discovered when we bought a sidesaddle over the internet from one of their staff!!

Last edited:
You're better off looking around locally before wasting fuel to go there.. the few times i've been, they've had nothing I've wanted.

I must be easily pleased!lol I always find stuff I want there at the Ashton in Makerfield one. OH however never buys anything............I generally have a vague idea of what I want but seem to come away with totally different items.........I have a lot of their leadrope and matching headcollar sets - despite being cheaply priced they've lasted quite well. Last time I went I bought a new Charles Owen riding hat - they were the only place that actually had one in stock. Unlike Derby House - they were very disappointing - in fact, I don't like their store at all these days. I never seem to find anything in my size. I love their jodhs and gilets but they never have my size in (I am a 12 in jodhs so not an unusual size?)

Im 15 min from the basingstoke one and its rubbish. Much prefer eileen Douglas or snack and tack. Used to love surrey equestrian!! Two times tack is well worth a visit if you have time, favourite shop ever!

newrider.com