Is there ever a good time to ask

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
My YO died a couple of weeks ago, her daughter has been her live in carer since I've rented the yard so I know her well and am sure she wouldn't intentionally leave me in a pickle so I haven't asked her what will happen and how soon, last year she said the property will go through probate and it would likely take a long time.
She told me the house was valued for probate purposes on Friday, I didn't think too much of it but today the gardener told me he's been asked to mow the grass and cut a path down to the river so perspective buyers can see all the land (we can't use the bottom 2 acres as its swamp basically) so that's making me think things are going to happen sooner than later.
I feel bad asking but I need to order hay and don't want to get months worth if its going to be weeks and if I need to find somewhere for the horses it might take a few weeks at best......

If the daughter has already told you about the house being valued, she is obviously already making plans so I think you are well within your rights to ask what your situation is at the present time and what plans she has for your future. Having to order your hay is the perfect reason. Just ask diplomatically (which I'm sure to would do anyway)

I would be asking, I'm sure she wouldn't want to just spring it on you anyway. There's no advantage in not telling you - after all presume you may be there when viewings happen? Folk looking will ask questions about the land etc. I know what you mean about hay too, you don't want to order loads only to end up shifting it all. I doubt if much will happen too quickly, most properties in my limited experience with land over a certain budget do attract a lot of initial viewings. But the process can take months and not weeks as with land attached things are not always straight forward. Even my neighbours at the old place took almost three months to complete and theirs was relatively simple as in a house with two acres. How worrying for you, but I think you need to know where you are at, otherwise everything could be quite chaotic with having horses. Least once you have an idea on time scale you can start to plan.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
This place is going to sell for a steal, the house and land/outbuildings all need work but a 3 bed bungalow with 5 acres for £250k is unheard of round here, I don't think it will be on the market long when it goes on, my worry is if the agents say trying to sell with a Tennant in situ is a bad idea and they want me off before it goes on the market.....

This place is going to sell for a steal, the house and land/outbuildings all need work but a 3 bed bungalow with 5 acres for £250k is unheard of round here, I don't think it will be on the market long when it goes on, my worry is if the agents say trying to sell with a Tennant in situ is a bad idea and they want me off before it goes on the market.....

Wow that does sound a bargain for your part of the world! Yes that's a point, if they wanted you off the land before marketing - do you have any kind of written agreeement in place? Even if you don't the fact you've been a tennant for so long and made regular payments should count for something. Not saying it should get to that stage but they ought to give you fair warning to vacate the place and not just spring it on you.

First Jessey don't panic, if the place sells I'd be very surprised if you'd need to move quickly, in my experience it could take months for the sale to go through to completion, especially where estate agents are involved (no disrespect intended to any estate agents on NR)
Most likely it would sell quickly at that sort of price but bear in mind once the deal is agreed there's a raft of things that can delay the legal side of things.
As for asking, yes you absolutely need to speak to the daughter, as others have said if she's already making plans she's obviously talking to other people about it and seems keen to get things moving, out of respect for you the least she can do is listen to your concerns. x

I'm not in a position to buy it, sadly, I'd give my right arm for it!
I asked the daughter, it will go on the market in the next 1-2 weeks, she said she hopes the buyer will let me stay but I think thats wishful thinking. I suspect I've got 3-6 months for it to sell and complete, unless they struggle for a buyer.

It depends whose buying. A friend of mine put there house on the market they ended up moving out in a month. Think the buyers had a date by which they had to be out of there's. If all parties have the legalities in order I think it can go through quicker. At least you have been told. If they have trouble selling they might ask you to leave. Of course who ever buys might decide they don't want you, so you could get notice from them as soon as they move in. So you'll have to get some agreement in place with the new owners.

I guess they are selling cheaply to keep the value of the estate under IHT threshold too?

That is crazy pricing for Suffolk though! If jobs permitted I would have considered it!

I guess they are selling cheaply to keep the value of the estate under IHT threshold too?

That is crazy pricing for Suffolk though! If jobs permitted I would have considered it!
I've no idea really, the place does need a LOT of work, like masses, so that's a big part of it

newrider.com