Is this a dangerous time of year?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I misjudged Ella entirely. And fell off her too. My 3rd significant fall in late January.

She has been off work so in theory this was to be a regular leisurely ride.
As we came to the point where we turn left and head home, two riders were cantering towards us from the path ahead.
Ella certainly didnt want to go up there but instead of turning and walking down the tarmac road towards the yard, a route we have done dozens of times, she set off at a gallop. None of the things I have learned about stopping runaway horses seemed to work. I crossed the reins, I clamped my legs, I tried to move her to the grass verge but she shot down the tarmac and when I got to the place where there is room to turn, and tried to turn her, I fell off over her shoulder and she continued her resolute homewards gallop on her own.

I am thank goodness perfectly all right though I need to wait a few weeks and buy a new hat before riding again. But have never before fallen off in a public place and was astonished to have the police drive up and insist on driving me home or calling an ambulance. I wasnt allowed to go and catch the horse either. Someone was sumoned from the yard to catch my horse. I was told, that is the job of staff. Which is a pity as one of my few equestrian accomplishments is being able to catch loose horses

If she is used to being ridden 3 hours a day and has had time off it is probably more to do with it than the time of year. If Robin, or most horses, had 2 horses canter towards them he would not have coped well. Did the riders see you and stop?

Reactions: carthorse
I'm glad you're ok, though I expect you'll feel rather bruised and stiff for a few days. Try to keep gently mobile and if needs be take some painkillers, needless to say if you feel a lot worse or have any symptoms of a head injury appear then get yourself seen straight away. I would try to get back on as soon as you can, even if you have to pay for one of the staff to do a short walk out on foot with you so you have company.

I'm with @Doodle92, it would take either an incredibly good or very quiet horse not to react to two horses cantering towards it and they really should have stopped as soon as they saw you - it's incredibly bad riding manners not to and this sort of reaction is the reason why.

I don't think this time of year is bad in itself, but there can be an issue with horses getting less work and more stable time than normal and that does put some on their toes a bit. There can also be a nip in the air that on a bright day can make them feel very well and up for it. If she had some time off because she'd been lame maybe it was a combination of these things?

What I'd like to know is where have the police and a lift home been when I've come off? Sounds a far better deal than walking home asking if anyone's seen a horse!

Reactions: Huggy
Oh no, I’m glad you’re unhurt and the police were helpful.
I’d tend to agree this time of year often means less exercise (especially as she’s been on rest for her injury), more feed and more time inside making them fresher, and cold sunny days can definitely pep them up.

Oh glad you're ok. Take it easy for a bit until you know which bits are going to ache! Hogan wouldn't have needed to have had time off to react to horses cantering towards him - if they were aware of you they should have stopped and checked you were alright.

As already said, two horses cantering towards you, well they should have stopped when the saw you. Even St Zi would have been hard to control if he'd had two cantering people coming towards him. I do think as well yeah, the time of year because a lot of horses aren't getting their normal workload - sometimes down to the miserable weather / dark nights etc. And a cold sunny day can make them sharp too of course. How horrid for you - as ever good advice about getting back on as soon as you can. Try not to leave it too long if you aren't too achy.

What I'd like to know is where have the police and a lift home been when I've come off? Sounds a far better deal than walking home asking if anyone's seen a horse!
The Police here are very nice and constantly on the watch these days for good reason. Cyclists and paralympians train in our Royal Parks and their bikes apparently cost a fortune. Recently one guy training in the Park was violently robbed of a valuable bike by a thief on a motorbike wielding a machete. I reckon Ella is worth more than the racing cycle but it seemed no one fancied nicking her.

And I will go on riding bercause I lovre it so but not at once. I have to buy a new hat and leave it a few weeks. Again, daughter's long ago advice. If you hit your head that is not always serious. But what can be serious is to have a further blow to the head before the first injury has healed.

I'm sorry to hear about your fall and feel angry towards the riders who cantered towards you. This is one of the reasons why I am so wary when hacking out in public places - you cannot control the stupidity of others. I hope that you are not bruised and your confidence isn't knocked. These things happen with horses. Even my saint of a horse had the odd spin and I fell off him 4 times over the years. Rest up and look after yourself.

That sounds like quite some fall, hope you are okay? I know you have said you are and that you have doctors in your family but then you talk about hitting your head so just worried after a fall onto tarmac at speed.

I think accidents could be more likely at this time of year yes, you could also factor in that the parks could be busier, everyone trying to stick to new year's resolutions and make the most of the sunshine we have had lately.

I learnt to ride in bushy park and fell off many times, the parks police would sometimes get involved in catching the horse depending how far they had got!

Gosh @Skib I think you must get the New Rider record for "serious fall at oldest age" unless anyone knows different? I would have been so furious with those other riders, it is so ill-mannered and thoughtless of them.

I am really impressed that you walked away from that fall. You must have great balance! And perhaps I am not surprised that nobody thought to walk off with Ella, although she was loose. A machete wouldn't impress a fire-breathing runaway horse....

Jane I am in a miserable state today with a head that hurts and a sore rib. Modern bps have holes in to keep one cool. But my old style Airowear ones were better. With them it was like landing on a mattress. I have no bones broken.
My balance in riding is not good. I should remember that if I am being run away with I should keep the horse straight. If I stop by turning I always fall off over the shoulder. And my walking away was not brilliant either. Smooth soled riding boots are lethal for walking on the wet muddy paths we have here at the moment.

Sorry you're so sore - rest up, hot baths, paracetamol and of course, the obligatory glass of something!

Reactions: Skib
my walking away was not brilliant eithe
Oh don't be hard on yourself! It's amazing that you were able to walk away at all.

I'm sorry to say that there is nothing to help a bruised rib but time, as I found out that time that Ziggy stepped on me. Hot baths and arnica also helped me. I recommend the Weleda arnica bath soak for stiff sore bodies. Do take good time to recover.

Oh don't be hard on yourself! It's amazing that you were able to walk away at all.

I'm sorry to say that there is nothing to help a bruised rib but time, as I found out that time that Ziggy stepped on me. Hot baths and arnica also helped me. I recommend the Weleda arnica bath soak for stiff sore bodies. Do take good time to recover.

And keep warm. I find anything that involves bruises or pulled muscles is so much worse if I get cold.

Reactions: Skib
Sorry to read about your fall. Being tanked off with is scary. It was a turn at speed that was my downfall too (pun intended!), but at least I landed on a surface. This was a few years ago though. Cosset yourself for a while and then see how you feel.

Reactions: Kite_Rider and Skib
I’m not sure if you watch much tv but I was recommended “the tourist” on bbc IPlayer. It is 6 hour long episodes and is taxing enough to follow that you have to concentrate but not so difficult you loose track. I never usually manage to focus in that way but this has me gripped.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Oh, if we're making recovery TV recommendations I can't recommend "Call My Agent" on Netflix too highly. It's in (often very rude) French but has decent subtitles and it's clever and funny, with real top French actors and actresses guest starring in each one pretending to be clients. Very good entertainment!

newrider.com