is this a totally madcap idea??

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
the breed society's SE show is about an hour away from us and i might be able to hitch pony a lift there! the schedule has stuff like 'novice inhand','novice ridden' and even a walk/trot dressage in it! sounds like fun!

or so i think :p

i only have a non-conventional looking treeless saddle so i'd have to acquire a treed for the occasion (use to have an x-wide maxam pony which fitted a treat), but cant justify splashing out on a saddle fitting and expensive saddle just for a show a year or something :eek:

and angel is 17 and has next to no show experience!! last one we entered we came last in the ridden m&m :p

oh and the breedshow is on june 21st and pony is a piggy to school at the moment :eek:

but its so tempting to just have a go!! or are breed soc shows NOT the place to 'have a go' and the word 'novice' in the class is just a ruse for 'quite excellent really'??

In my experience breed shows are lovely because everybody has a genuine interest in everybody elses pony and people are very supportive because they want to see the breed doing well.

I'd say go for it. Yes there'll be producers and the ponies will work in outlines, but so what? It's just a fun day out and you might get some really useful hints from people in the know. Not to mention the fact that you can run into relatives of your pony, people who know her history etc. :)

oh my! it looks like we really are likely to get a lift there :eek:

what to enter?? veteran inhand thats fur sure (she's 17!), can i get away with a riding bridle for that?

mares inhand (4 years and over with or without foals)? or is she too old for that?!

novice showing (will need to somehow sort a treed saddle for this i suspect)

walk/trot dressage - what happens there?? can i use the treeless saddle for this?! what will i need to do??

im stupidly excited now at the prospect :p we'll come last in everything (angel is not in show pony nick! she's rather lean ...) but it'll be lovely to see all the other exmoors and whatnot :D and she was bred in the area so .... i might even meet some actual relatives!!

Julia
x

Yay go for it.
I went to a BIG show on sunday with my PB Native of some description. LOL.
And came practically last in everything I entered, she has no idea about outlines ect either, but we had such good fun, and met some lovely people,so it was well worth it.
I do think you will have to have a treed sddle though, sorry:(

i'd quite like to have a go at a ridden class (but i don't absolutely 'have to'!), but only if i can find a saddle that's comfy and i'd obviously try it out beforehands and not just slap any old thing on for the show (chances are id get bucked off swiftly if i did that :p ).

today i purchased a tie in oxfam for the occasion (you can see, i dont get out much!)

julia
x

we will be going :p and it turns out angel is the auntie of the pony we're going with :p

will def do inhand, maybe ridden novice (in the treeless quite possibly ... my riding is so dire that the wronglooking saddle should be the least of my concerns, ha!) and the walk & trot dressage :) am stupidly excited!!

and alix, yes its june 21st! at bunces farm in heathfield/sussex!

julia
x

brilliant :D and with the rug she will remain gleaming overnight (she'll be staying with her, erm, nephew! the night before!), i'll be gleaming also (erm can i borrow a tweed?) ... we'll ALL be gleaming and it will be great!

newrider.com