Is this normal do you think?!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Since I've been dieting (well, just cutting back and trying to eat more wholesome foods!) I've noticed I get full quicker? Is this normal do you think? For instance, I find myself actually being fuller from a smaller portion of an evening (I've been instructing OH who does all the cooking to make me a smaller portion when he's serving our evening meal up). At first it felt odd and I went to bed a bit peckish still!lol. Even my lunches are filling me up (just hope its nowt to do with this rotten pain I've been having the tests for). Does anybody else or has anybody else noticed when they get used to a certain diet that they become ok with it? I thought I'd be nibbling and cheating (only cheating on myself I hasten to add!). I've lost 5 lbs so far - so rather pleased and today finally managed to wear my size 12 skinny jeans from Asda that otherwise wouldn't fasten! (I had got to the stage where I couldn't sit down in them either even if I could do the button up!)
Also another daft question - but do those of you who are weightwatching have a specific amount that you lose each week?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Thankfully I've not had any of those wanting to eat loads days for ages!! OH is stressed atm, he's eating for England lol. Poor man keeps wolfing down bars of chocolate......I feel rather smug refusing a bite............

-Autumn leaves

Nov 28, 2010
Yes you will get full quicker because your stomach will be shrinking in size - meaning you will fill up quicker than you did before. The more you eat, the bigger your stomach will stretch, therefore need to eat more to feel full. This is where the problem is when people keep putting on weight, because they are eating more and more and in turn stretching their stomach at the same time!

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Also don't forget the science behind what you may be eating now compared to then.

Wholegrain foods and lean protein keep you feeling fuller for longer than simple carbs which give you an immediate burst if energy and then quickly leave you feeling flat. Complex carbs and protein release their energy of a sustained period so you don't get the highs and lows that you get from sugary foods and cakes.

daisysp8

Dec 11, 2009
North East Linconshire
Yup .. another +1 to Joy

I`ve done Slimming world, where there are a lot of foods you are allowed, and so you can eat until you`re full, but i think the psychology of being able to eat plenty helps .. i`m probably not making sense now am i lol.

Well done on the 5lb loss though, that`s a great start :)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Quite pleased with how it has been going really, got 8lb to go now and then I can hopefully maintain that. I think the whole change of thinking about how and when I eat has helped. From bad things can come good, for instance, if I'd never had this awful pain and indigestion, and become so worried about when and how much I was eating, I don't think I'd have managed to change my eating habits. At first we did think (the gp and myself) that it could have been one of those hiatus hernias - cue me googling them and finding out that they can sometimes be caused by being overweight - so, I sort of felt so bad about something that I might have caused I was determined to eat better.

pointerlady

Jul 4, 2010
sunny Suffolk
It could be the medication you are on. If you are on proton inhibitors they tend to inhibit your appetite. You no longer feel you have to eat all the time to ease the indigestion as you have no indigestion. Your stomach will get smaller and you will feel less need to stuff your face. :wub:

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Thanks pointerlady, it could be the meds, but I am inclined to suspect a combo of worry and my stomach actually shrinking a wee bit having got used to half-rations! Hope it continues......