Is this normal?

laurakw

Apr 3, 2009
I have just started once weekly lessons, and am on either 8 or 9! Last night I rode a new horse (we do tend to ride different ones each week as a rule anyway so we don't get used to one) but I just couldn't get used to her.
No matter how hard I tried i couldn't get in a rythym for rising trot and just felt like I was bouncing away on the saddle, and she also kept pulling her head down no matter how short the rein was, which made me feel like I was going to go over it!

Today I can hardly sit down, I feel bruised, and I am wondering whether this is to do with spending 30 minutes bouncing up and down, and whether other people feel this uncomfortable after riding. I've been achy after lessons before but never in pain!

I have asked not to ride her again, but I don't want to blame the horse, as it is probably just my inexperience!

i think you shoudl ride her again!!!! althogh ti might not be easy, youll learn more on her than the easy ones, instead of shortning your reins lengthen them a little and if she pulls kick !

I second hottotrot. My RS has a pony with a very bouncy, swingy, wiggly trot. He is known as the "tattle tale pony" because he fusses with his head when riders accidentally use the reins for balance (it is hard on his mouth). My RI taught me that the key was to use you abdominal muscles to control your rise and fall (so you don't bounce) and to help you balance. I am always sore in the abs and inner thighs the day after riding him. But, as difficult as his trot is, his canter is lovely. Maybe the horse you rode is similar.

I hope you are not too sore!

As you're kind of new to lessons, do you think you may be using your reins for balance? Do you raise your hands when you feel a little insecure in your balance? Or are you able to keep your hands quiet and together just above the withers?

Do you use just your fingers to give and take rein, or must you move your hand/arm?

Some horses have a much quicker trot than others and it takes a few times riding them to get used to the rhythm.

ponypalz has a good suggestion, about using your abs and controlling your descent so that you just lightly touch down on the saddle between rises.

if you have your reins too short and are bouncing thats probably why the horse was pulling her head down :)

id ask to ride her again and lengthen your reins and practise :)

x

I think you should definatly be on that horse again. (If you were my student this is what I would get you to do)

1-lung the pony so you can see his natural gait when there is no rider
2-get on pony still with lunge line and we would work on riding bridle less with me/RI lunging him
3-I would get you riding bridle less around pilons ect ect at walk.
4-riding stirrup less on lunge line
5-(After a few weeks of this) I would get you back on the rail with others and see if the pony has changed his head bobbing

the reason for why I would make you do those is in order to rule out balance (and if you are a beginner to gain balance). Then you can also learn rythm of that said horse.

bridle less and stirrup less work is great for creating core balance as others said you need to use (but for many people they balance on there reins/forward which may be why the pony is pulling his head down).

good luck

I would love to be able to try all that but I'm having group lessons, I am planning to have a couple of hour long private lessons soon, but I really can't afford them all the time, so may just have to keep at it and see how it goes.

it is very possible to do what I said in a group lesson..many RI's tend to make students do the same thing, but just like horses, we are (I know its impressive) are individuals to, and even in a group lesson that needs to be taken into account.

you need to work on using your core and balance-well chances are 1 or more need to aswell..let the more experienced help the less experienced-take turns on the ground lunging (remember horsemanship isn't all in the saddle).

make patterns for each other with pilons on what you need to do using your body to manuvure the horse not your reins

if there is someone with perfect postion, and balance (lol) then they can work on show ettiquite, and working around less experienced people.

that would be a wonderful plan for your RI for next week me thinks;)

newrider.com