Is this serious?

Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
Firstly this is NOT my pony - ours is a gray and this is a horses hooves not a pony hoof

Just wondering if these hooves are too far gone or can they - with good farriering (spl!!!) and owner care - be bought back to sound and good?

I think the "hole" is a lump of mud? I didn't take the piccies so haven't seen these horsey feet

Image117.jpg

Image118.jpg

Image120.jpg

hubby took 'em - not saying anymore :eek:

but apart from the fact I'd not let my pony's hooves get in that state - I would be in full blown panic mode over them - but I've never let any of my neddy's feet get like that

tis not good - but just wondering how bad it is

Both the splits in the hoof are not good.I am no expert though on farriery but I do know it takes 9 months to a year to grow them out.It also depends on how deep the splits are as to how big a problem they are.The shorter split is certainly due to lack of farriery attention,the bigger split I would be more concerned over as it goes all the way down the hoof.

i've seen horses with half the hoof capsule literally drop off- my dad got them right again (they came to him after someone else made a hash of it ;))

With a lot of time, effort and a decent farrier they should be righted.

Would take time and serious management though.

Also be interesting to see xrays of the hooves and see if any internal damage had occured or if this was just bad nutrition and management.

and somewhat fasicnated its ended up in the shod hoof??????? This equine has never had shoes on in its life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nor is it barefoot - its only just turned 3 so its a baby who isn't barefoot or shod:rolleyes:

Our rescue has feet worse than that. The cracks right up, deep. When the farrier was here last week, he said it SHOULD come right but it takes time. It'll take a year for our guy but he was extremley neglected and the farrier said nutrition goes to the hoof last so he gave his a year

A friend's horse ended up with feet like that after some pretty shocking farriery, lots of other farriers tried but to no avail and she was PTS. Knowing what I know now though I suspect there was a lot going on inside the hoof though too.

Fixable though I would say with some good quality foot work and general care, not an easy task though :eek:

thanks - and I am guessing I am right in thinking the horsey shouldn't be ridden?

please bear in mind - I have never had a horse with hooves in this state! I wouldn't ride it - but I'd not have its feet in that state either ...

newrider.com