is trotting on roads bad for a horse

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
Hi All,

I just wondered if trotting on roads would damage horses joints? I havent been trotting on the road as I dont know if it is safe to do so. I only ever have little mini bursts of trot anyway due to my own fitness rather than my horses, would this be ok?

I dont like to trot too much on the roads. I only do it is absolutely necessary to avoid danger etc. I always thought it not good for the joints and could cause splints etc (?) especially if the horse is quite heavy with his movement. That's just my opinion so I err on the side of caution.

Yes well sometimes you have to in order to get past cars, obstructions and generally get out of harms way but it is bad for joints and hooves. Can cause concussion laminitis (not just roads, jumping on hard surfaces too) and splints and it jarrs very badly as the shock absorption of the hoof is compromised with shoes on. I hate roadwork in general but sadly, as byways and bridleways dissapear, we've no choice!!

Where I used to live in Weston, there were lots of gypsies training their trotters at high speed on the roads... poor ponies.:(

if you take it steady and build up trotting work slowly then you shouldn't have too many problems. Any work on hard ground is concussive so will have an impact on the joints so too much too fast too soon will damage joints that are not used to it. Same with runners on the roads that do too much and end up with shin splints.

i've always done roadwork with the horses i've owned we have quite a few hills around me and it was always good fittening work to take them out on the roads.

I'll only trot up hill, I don't like trotting on the flat, as I worry about concussion on the joints (he wears shoes).. I have been told that bare footed horses have a minimal impact when trotting on roads, so possibly removing shoes after this summer:)

Hi thanks

I did think it was best not to my horses are unshod but I shan't risk it.

Thanks for the advice

Of course you can trot on roads. Long distance horses have to . Condition the limbs by gradually building up length of trot. Up hill and flat fine, downhill not good as can strain legs more and more concussive on feet. Without shoes is great I certainly trot on roads but not flat out and never unbalanced. :)

newrider.com