Is two saddles being greedy?

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
Ok, so a bit of background first... Pedro was a nightmare to get a well fitting saddle for. IT took me 17 months to finally get him something that fitted well, didn't move and didn't cause rubs and lumps. ('Twas a very expensive dressage saddle which I love!) it has been brilliant, getting me back out riding and not constantly worrying about his back and I think it's improved my position too along the way! But.... Going at speed in it is hairy, especially if he takes a hold and £&**~* off! Plus after an interesting jumping lesson I decided I want to do more jumping with him as he enjoys it and my confidence with it is rock bottom! So I found a second hand thorowgood PC long legs saddle on ebay. (He had one before which fitted well but caused lumps, but his shape has changed drastically (muscle wastage on right shoulder built back up, he's gotten wider!) since I sold it and so I was hopeful that the issues we had would be gone) had it fitted on Thursday and fitter said it is a perfect fit. I've hacked him in it three times since then, last hack being yesterday when we went for a blast and I felt secure enough to take a forward seat and just let him go!

So I am really enjoying this saddle.... My question is... Do I sell the dressage which I love or do I have a very spoilt pony with two saddles? Does anyone else have more than one saddle for their horse? Do you find you use one more than the other? I have flat work lessons with him once a fortnight and would use the dressage for those, plus any comps we go to the dressage would be used (don't do many comps as don't have transport, but planning on some inter dressage and a friend has offered to give me lifts to RC club days (dressage comp) if she's not planning on taking her boy.

I guess I'm trying to justify keeping both saddles! Lol!

Gem has a gp and a dressage saddle. I do mostly use the gp as I mostly hack and/or jump these days (my gp is quite forward cut with good knee rolls), however if I'm having a flat lesson, or schooling then I use my dressage. Some people have jumped in a dressage saddle, me included, but I wouldn't do it on my horse, she's too pingy!

I just sold 2 of my saddles, leaving me with 3, then brought another one!

To be fair I sold 2 western saddles and brought a treeless, of the 3 I still had one is for sale as caused a big lump on jess' back, my trusty old dressage saddle I won't part with and the last is an old synthetic which isn't worth anything as it's all worn through on the knee rolls but is a great breaking saddle and I want another youngster at some point.

I brought the treeless as a back up to my dressage saddle and it's a more forward cut one aimed at jumping/gp, though I'm really happy jumping in my dressage saddle and can hold forward seat etc in it happily, so really jess only has 2 saddles now. I haven't had just one saddle in a very long time, apart from earlier this spring in all the buying and selling and it drove me nuts as I didn't have any other option when I thought she wasn't quite happy.

There's nothing basically wrong with having two saddles; why not just keep them both for a while and see if you use both, then make a decision later about selling one? I only have one that fits my horse, but I have a collection that I can't get rid of - no-one wants to buy second-hand synthetic saddles or even Saddle Co. saddles
if they're not the latest models.

Of course it's ok the have two! I have two saddles one (HM dressage pheonix) which I haven't used for over a year but I just can't part with it, the other is my lovely sensation which gets used for everything including flat work, no harm in having two even if you don't use them I say, at the end of the day if you can afford to buy a second saddle for a different discipline why not.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Its entirely up to you and how you ride. If the dressage has helped your position I would be inclined to keep it for flatwork.
However, if you are like me in that flatwork includes pole work and can include Prix caprilli, having a saddle I can't shorten on is a big pain in the behind! Your forward seat is restricted in dressage simply from how the bars are. If you are treed you may not notice, but a treeless if ridden against its will-for want of a better word, is unstable.

Thanks guys! The plan is to hack/jump in the GP and school/show in the dressage. I have lessons once a fortnight so as least it will get used that often! Don't have a school where I keep the boys or I'd be schooling through the week, although I have a wee plan taking shape about that one!

Newforest- I did have a treeless for a while it did us well for a summer, while I was saving for the dressage, but ultimately it wasn't the road I wanted to go down. (You have a treeless blog don't you? I think I stumbled across that when researching into which treeless to get - ended up with the libra BRS. Which I then sold onto a friend who was looking for a saddle to use until her pony slimmed back down again and fitted into his treed saddle. Its a fab wee saddle and even came into nursery when we made a horse for the children to ride during a knights and castles topic!)

I can't see any problem with having more than one saddle if you can afford it....I had about half a dozen in my tack room until two years ago when funds got tight! Now I have two and one is just a complete wreck but has a good tree and is very comfy so I keep it for emergencys only! :p

i have a dressage saddle and a GP saddle for Moet.

We only do basic stuff dressage wise, but i much prefer it to school in than the GP. Though tbh the GP is comfy anyway and had i not had the money to spend on a dressage one then it wouldn't matter, but i did and I'm glad i have it :)

Yes I have the website.

I may look for a second saddle for hacking I don't "need" another. But I don't need two pairs of boots to ride in but have two :)
I do have my pad for riding on as well. For me it would depend on how often I use something, if I use it weekly then yes I would have one. I ride bareback every week so makes sense to make myself a pad, especially as she is out naked and today came in soaked.

newrider.com