Issues with trimming, picking feet out

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Me that is. I was wondering if anyone else with lower back problems used anything to assist them.
Today was a struggle to pick them out. :redface: and as she is really good now she does just stand. Usually lifts the backs for me.
Has anyone taught their horse to rest its leg on something to lessen the bending down.

Trimmer hasn't got back to me do considering going back to bog standard farrier. I get someone to check in between my trims but knowing what my back was like today, it won't be long before I won't be doing this anymore.

I'm sure you could get her to lean on something. Flipo will rest his toe on the ground for you if you ask him, and I or the farrier can then crouch down but not be lifting the weight of him at the same time (he doesn't lean as such, but he can't help but have some weight in that leg).

Maybe start with something small under her hoof and work up to something bigger like a hoof jack with cradle attachment.

Its the actual bending over with the foot that's the problem, she will lift when you run hand down.
Maybe I could sit on something or her put it on my stool. Strangely enough its the fronts I found harder today.
Bloody weather. Its been cold hasn't it.

Change trimmer, because its two weeks now and no response.

Have you thought about using a hoof jack? They're well worth the money if your horse is happy to cooperate.

I often rest a leg on my knee when trimming:redcarded:

Have you thought of a hoof jack? It's very handy for nailing on shoes on Shetlands as there's no way you can get their leg between your knees.

The jack is for rounding the outside isn't it, I have a road cone for that.

They come with two inserts, one for doing the top of the foot (cone alternative) and a canvas cradle that the leg rests in to do the underside which takes all the effort out of holding the leg up.

Standard.gif

Don't pick the foot up, that's the horses job (your's is to ask her to pick it up).

and don't bend over... Keep your back as straight and upright as possible and go down on one knee placing the offered foot on the knee that isn't on the floor.

Most horses prefer this as their foot isn't 'taken' from them, isn't held or restricted in any way and their leg isn't twisted painfully.

be careful at the back if she kicks but it's amazing (doh!) how many 'kickers' don't do so as long as they don't have their leg grabbed wrenched up and twisted around to be clenched between some hefty blokes arm and two legs...

I get lower back problems NF, I always manage to get round it somehow so all is not lost! The hoof jack looks a nifty piece of kit.

Run your hand down the leg, hold your lower abs in. Bend at the knee and prop the hoof on your thigh. Keep your back straight. Put your balance and weight through your legs.

Make sure Tilly is not leaning on you, she should hold her own weigh.

I keep both of my feet firmly on the floor, so I can jump out of the way if needs be.

Joy will either rest on her toe or hold her foot up for me but I need a couple of fingers under it to show it needs to stay up there and stop it moving away when I get in there with the pick.

I have an order of feet so only say up and touch leg and she does front left then walk to bum and lifts hind without a word or touch and same for other hind and front.

She leans a bit taking weight off gammy knee so I rest it on my leg.

My worst bit for my back and shoulders issues is doing her daily physio front leg stretches :cry:

newrider.com