Ist time hunting=disaster!

pedilia

Apr 24, 2005
Cambridge
I fell off, Paddy got loose back at the lorry and galloped off for about 4 miles at full speed :shk

We started off well, everyone was really nice and helpful, explaining the terminology and what was happening, we had a couple of really fast bits which was very :shk Paddy was SO STRONG, the strongest I have ever know him, and that was with a pelham that I normally use for SJ and XC.
We then had a lot of standing about and I noticed Paddy had a cut on the corner of his mouth, I decided to call it a day before it got any worse.

So I explained to the Master and set off home, halfway there I realised to my horror the hunt was approaching at speed behind me, I kept going and a hound flew out of the woods next to me. Paddy did a 180 degree spin and I came off, he galloped back to the hunt, my friend caught him, I got back on and we carried on. He was still being scarily strong but manaegable, half the problem was that other people who had no control were passing me with no brakes so he was getting worse.

At the last cover I deciced to go back to the lorry, my husband met me and we started to untack Paddy, he broke free and galloped off :shk :shk
He covered about 4 miles heading home at a full gallop, people were looking for him on horses, cars, foot and quads!! He went along main roads, fields, footpaths, how he didn't either cause an accident or break a leg I don't know. Even the master was out looking! He galloped so hard he has a nosebleed!!!!

A lady who happened to have a headcollar in her car had caught him and led him miles. A livery from my yard who had been with us on foot called her husband who bought there lorry and brought him home. He just has a tiny cut on his back leg, it could have been so much worse!!
He is ok though and that is the main thing, needs a couple of days off though.
HuntingOct09042.jpg

HuntingOct09043.jpg

HuntingOct09045.jpg

HuntingOct09047.jpg

HuntingOct09048.jpg

Aw Peds, what a shame your first day was such a disaster! You're an amazing lady for deciding to give it another go. I'd be such a chicken.

It's good that Paddy is ok, silly boy! Lovely photos despite the craziness of the day. Hope next time is more of a success!

That sounds horrific. I always keep a headcoller in my car these days as I have had to catch a couple of loose horses in the past. You must have been frantic with worry. I'm pleased that no-one was hurt.

OMG, how terrifying:eek: And so unfortunate that you did all the right things and it still ended up disastrously with him breaking away and running off like that. Give him a big hug and remember the fact you're all safe and sound is the most important thing :)

Gosh Peds hope you are not too sore from the fall. Naughty Paddy wanting to rejoin the pack! Glad it all ended ok. Hunting can make the most sane a bit loopy - he should calm down the more he goes.

I know it probably would not have helped your situation but I have a dog tag attached to my bridle engraved with mobile numbers just incase my horse ever gets loose when we are out!

Glad you are ok and horsey too! Blimey, sounds like you did well to live to tell the tale - you are very brave anyways!!!! Better luck next time anyhoo.

Blimey! Eventful then??

Glad you're both ok!! Hope his mouth is not too sore and you're not too bruised!

I fell off on a hack once and said pony just wouldn't be caught! She eventually galloped off towards a road! :eek:.

I did get myself in rather a frantic state though when I caught up with her she was all calmly grazing on a grass verge and allowed me to catch her. This was on a 60mph road too. :eek:

What I found amazing is that 3 cars and a lorry had all stopped in the middle of the road and had their hazard lights on to warn others, thus avoiding an accident. It's strange how a riderless tacked up loose horse has a completely different effect on drivers than one with a rider on board! The only thing that was bruised was my pride thankfully.

Anyway, hope the experience doesn't put you both off!

It's strange how a riderless tacked up loose horse has a completely different effect on drivers than one with a rider on board!

LOL!!!

Maybe thats what ya need when doing road work. Send in a tacked up riderless horse and all the drivers will start driving in a courteous manner before you have to ride the road!

Believe me. The difference is amazing!! They couldn't have been more helpful!! :D

Crikey! Hope you weren't too shaken up by it all, and glad to hear he's fine.

Apart from all that... was it fun? :D

newrider.com