It was going too well

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
This whole being in work thing and being ridden 6 days out of 7. So what do you do? Clobber your back hoof and take out a chunk exposing the nail. After having battled wld I immediately thought the worst. However farrier picked up my text immediately, he was passing on his way home so would stop in and sort, so was there 90 mins after I found it. He is confident it is not wld cos, when we looked closer m, he has also scuffed the coronet band pointing to a blow to the hoof rather than infection.

CC230A7E-EBC6-4900-B6B8-6B76DADF6087.jpeg

Sometimes this just happens.

Two points. I see your farrier is using copper nails, we found these helped a lot with one of mine, have you seen any difference with them? I'm just curious. Secondly I would be concerned at how tight to the heels he's being shod, there's no support there. Is there a reason for this? Over a period of time it can cause soundness issues, if he was mine I'd want a really good reason for him being shod like this.

I’m not sure the nails make a difference. It is what he uses as standard and we thought they might help. Yes he is shod specifically and vet is very happy with it.

Reactions: carthorse
Glad it's nothing too serious. Hopefully it won't scupper too many plans!

newrider.com