Itchy behind the ears....

joey_olop

I Love My Olops!!!!!
Jul 15, 2003
Sunny Slough!!
Visit site
Blackie has sweet itch(its the worst he has been this year even with this dodgy weather!) he has started to itch behind his ears(on the poll area were the head-piece goes around on the bridle).

Although Im not riding at the mo(accident:rolleyes:) my OH wants to work him to keep him fit.

There are massive scabs behind the ears that wont go away(salt water, sudocream & naf d-itch) & he wears a rambo sweet itch hoodie & full fly mask. He is literally covered head to toe(except his legs!!) & Im not sure what to do. He was treated by the vet a few months back for having the same scabs on his face but the vet didnt know what they where or how they were caused (helpful!!) & reluctant to get him out again & pay £50 to tell me that he dosnt know what it is.

Help!!

Ouch, poor boy!
Firstly (and apologies if you've already done this), does the hoodie/fly mask rub over the wounds? If so then leave it off until there's new skin come through - whatever treatment you apply won't have any effect if the new tissue is constantly being abraded.

I've tried MANY different lotions and potions, the only one that has healed my mare AND stopped her itching is 'Kill-Itch' by Carr and Martin (or is it Day). Its a bit greasy too, so the midges dont bite wherever its been applied. It contains benzyl benzoate, cant rem if you are 'allowed' to apply over open wounds (I did..), if he's uncomfortable use aloe vera gel first until they've healed.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice Portia-my natural instinvt was to keep the scabs covered but if the hoodie is irritating him he is going to scratch them more :rolleyes:

Will definately invest in som 'kill-itch' :)

newrider.com