itchy pony, HELP

gunner5125

Mar 16, 2008
ESSEX
Not posted on here for ages, was after some ideas and advice. Pony is very itchy in this heat. she used to have a skin problem which has been gone for over a year & she is showing no signs of the sores from last time but the itching has got so bad she has demolished the fences in both paddocks, broke the gate & escaped into the yard, broke off an open stable door & ate all the greengages off the tree (totally unrelated to the itching but YO not best pleased). so now she has been banished to her stable & may only graze under supervision to stop her scratching. any idea for effective feed suppliments or home remedies to try? I can't afford to buy electric fencing to keep her away from the fences

You could give her 2 weeks of a liver tonic to detox her system. Restore Elixir from Global Herbs is brilliant. You could then see what she is like afterwards. Have you changed her diet atall, and does she have any lumps or bumps ?

My mare does exactly this!!

She rubbed so badly that when I took her on she had no mane or tail and lots of baldy patches. This summer she has a lovely thick mane and tail and a healthy shiny coat, after much trial and error here's what worked for us...

-Bathing once a week to get rid of any itchy dust, baby shampoo on the coat and T-Gel on the mane and tail, it's for humans with psoriasis(?!) and works MIRACLES!! you can get it in Superdrug or Boots type places.

-Naff D-itch on the itchiest bits every day then comb out the excess with a nit comb to keep it dirt free

-Super Skratch powder from Global Herbs, it's about £20 but well worth it, although it really smells so if yours is a fussy eater try the syrup version.

Good luck!

You could give her 2 weeks of a liver tonic to detox her system. Restore Elixir from Global Herbs is brilliant. You could then see what she is like afterwards. Have you changed her diet atall, and does she have any lumps or bumps ?

will look into that. no lumps & bumps, not changed her diet recently at all, thing she's just getting hot & sweaty & it's making her itch. The skin condition she had wasn't sweet itch, the vet never did work out what it was & she was having injections to stop the itching but it stopped when I moved yards last year so, I guess it was an allergy. I will try some of the things people on here have suggested and let you know what happens.

Does she just itch in the summer? It could be an allergy - the vet can supply you with antihistamine. Poor thing, it must be driving her mad. Or could it be eczema?

I came across this the other day. I had never heard of it before, and I don't know if it's any good, but it might be worth a try?

http://www.karenruggles.co.uk/

I certainly agree with the principles of cutting out sulphates and other strong chemicals from hair and skin care products. I wash my hair purely with water (and occaisionally conditioner if I think it needs it) and it has never been better! It doesn't get greasy, shines and it stays pretty much knot free. :)

newrider.com