Itchy Tail!!

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
Does anybody else have a horse with a really itchy dandruffy mane and tail?

He gets baileys local and apple cider vinegar to eat. I stopped feeding him garlic and alfalfa in the hope that it was one of those causing the itchiness but to no avail..

His coat is lovely and shiny its just his mane and tail.

Anyone used any supplements that worked?...

Yes... although less so now.

Silvers is blamed on sweet itch, although she is still rubbing tail now. Contemplated allergy testing but not too sure.

I find that the supermarket own brand anti-dandruff mnethol shampoo works a treat - in summer I wash it every other day, now as she has settled a lot its about once a week give or take a few days depending on how itchy she is. I was it, rub thoroughly (she loves it!!!) and wash out, I then comb scabs out with a fine human hair comb and dry it with a towel being warm and damp makes the itching worse.

It would be impossible for me to wash Princes tail often as it is just so thick! It would just never dry.. I dont think he'd appreciate me getting the hair dryer on him which would be the only way to dry it! :rolleyes:

Id love to know why it is so dandruffy and be able to solve the issue for my poor itchy boy!

same with my mare.....shes always been dandruffy - but hers is all over (as well as mane and tail), next time vet comes i will see if she has any ideas. My mare does have sweetitch, which explains summer itching, but she has dandruffy skin all year round, shes quite itchy after wearing rugs too and loves to scratch her back and hips thoroughly when she hasnt got her rug on.

All of the above peope, are they not just itching more because they really dont need rugs on. (says she, who rugs a native). Mine has sweetitch in summer and doesnt itch in winter as I try not to rug too much.

Dandruff and white,waterproof covering on hair is natural in winter as it is their waterproofing. Ignore it and wait for summer to wash it out.

If not, then look for lice or mites.

Hamish is quite bad, but when we had the vet out, they reckoned it was due to a dermitis rather than sweet itch. He comes in when the midges are bad and also gets a bath with a medicated shampoo.

Jen
x

when vol's got itchy and flakey i used diluted dettol in a spray bottle on it. Cleared it up a treat and stopped any itching

All of the above peope, are they not just itching more because they really dont need rugs on. (says she, who rugs a native). Mine has sweetitch in summer and doesnt itch in winter as I try not to rug too much.

Dandruff and white,waterproof covering on hair is natural in winter as it is their waterproofing. Ignore it and wait for summer to wash it out.

If not, then look for lice or mites.

Nup, Sils hardly been rugged all winter - not in a warmth way anyway - she was wearing a waffle weave cooler as its silky to prevent her damaging tail rubbing.

Would be really interested if someone did a study on the relationship between SI and scurfyness - convinced there is a big link/trigger situation.

KT what type of SI rug do you use? Struggling to find one to fit properly.

my mare never used to be rugged....this winter is the first time really, so no she doesnt 'need' one, but shes clipped and ive been riding her lots this winter so its easier. She has only worn a summer rain sheet all winter though (with absolutely no filling at all - just to keep her dry). I do see a correlation with her scratching after shes had the rug off, so i know theres a link, but shes always scurfy all year since ive owned her - but does scratch more once rug taken off (think its prob cos the dandruf cant 'fall out' when under the rug, and maybe shes warmer and therefore itchier). cant see any lice/mites though.

newrider.com