Its been a year and my feet still haven't improved

NatalieR

RIP Bruno-Love ya foreva
Nov 20, 2006
Hampshire - Basingstoke
www.bebo.com
as the title says Its been a year since i posted on here about my feet issue, i have tried my hardest to sort the out but they will always stick out and my heels simply can't go down with my leg swinging forward:eek: i think it would be better if i just cut me feet off as after around 6/7 years of riding *with a 3 year gap somewhere in between* i am still getting RI's constantly saying " keep your heels down","your feet should be pointing forward not at me!" ... ETC :rolleyes:

has anyone else had the same problem for so long?

I've been thinking about the same thing. One thing that I think is helping is that I now have extra velcro-on blocks under the saddle flap to help keep my legs back. It is hard (but not impossible lol) to have your feet pointing out when your upper legs are further back.

Sally Swift (I think) talks about just pretending your lower leg doesn't exist. I don't know what type of riding you do, but I am learning dressage and my RI tells me not to worry about whether my heels are down. I think that may be just temporary but she says that pushing your heels down will make your lower leg keep going forward and to keep just enough weight in the stirrup to keep your foot in there.

Plus, my own opinion after experimenting this week, is that it is pretty hard to keep a relaxed leg if you are trying to keep your heels down. I briefly (so hard to concentrate on everything at once!) tried to completely relax my legs in the stirrups and noticed that my foot automatically turned in.

Hope any of this may help!!

Yep, it took me seven years before my heels went down. Luckily for me, I learned a new way to keep my feet in the stirrups, and now I only put my heels down if I need more security.
Try putting less of your foot through the stirrup; just your toes and a bit more. You can bend it easier than.
Try thinking of it like this: the only reason your heels go down, is if your toes come up, and your calf stretches. Try and sink into your heels.
Try this: stand up in your saddle. Your ankles are tight, right? Hold it for a few seconds, then relax your whole foot and ankle. Your heels immediately respond, and normally drop a bit.
I'm confusing myself...

In your place, I'd change your RI, not your feet.

If you are devoted to an RI who goes on about your feet, (they are trained that way by the BHS) employ the tactic suggested by my own RI - create your own medical condition. Say you have problem hips and that's why your feet hang as they do.

Once that worry is out of the way, enjoy your lessons and learn lots.

well, i am surprised that it takes so long,....then i am lucky, because after one year of riding, i am pretty comfortable with my heels...

my advise....maybe relax your weight into heels more.... get comfortable....

i have realized, when I do that, my riding is much better, i am better balanced....

I am learning dressage and my RI tells me not to worry about whether my heels are down. I think that may be just temporary but she says that pushing your heels down will make your lower leg keep going forward and to keep just enough weight in the stirrup to keep your foot in there.

my riding instructor does something similar. She says she doesn't like to tell people "heels down!" because then they jam their heals down and that's not really what you want. She likes them to think, "toes up." you really can't lift your toes too much compared to jamming your heels in a bad position, and you don't need your heels to be down *that* much.

maybe stretching your your achilles tendon could help? Its possible its just not loose and that makes it hard to keep them down.

Have you tried the usual things like lifting your legs right up at halt, then dropping, no stirrups work concentrating on lengthening your leg and opening your hips, alternately swinging your legs backwards and forwards and holding them out to the side off the saddle? My RI got me doing these, and i now kick my stirrups out and do them on the way home while hacking, and it has helped my leg position and stability no end.

'Heels Down'

Just a thought..............

No rider should be pushing / forcing their heels down - this will always result in a rigid / tension in the leg.

The knee and ankle are the 'shock absorbers' that we all own for the allowance of movement to drop down the leg.

Perhaps it would help if you thought of the heel as droping down as your body absorbs the movement of the horse.

While at your desk...... Place the fingers of your right hand (face down) on the edge of the desk. The tips of your fingers represent the ball of your foot in the stirrup. Push the heel of your hand down towards the floor and watch how it locks your wrist and elbow. Now release the push and gently bounce the heel of your hand down. This demonstrates the softness that your joints should have!

Just a thought, as I am well aware that plenty of instructors almost encourage their pupils to force the heel down - but that is not the way to be in harmony with your horse!

You never know - this may help your toe out problem!

maybe stretching your your achilles tendon could help? Its possible its just not loose and that makes it hard to keep them down.

Try this exercise before riding. Bend over and let your hands dangle down towards your toes - feel the tension in your hamstring down the back of your calves? - good, try to relax the calf muscles and allow the weight of your body to stretch the hamstrings - don't force it, the more you relax the more they will stretch - don't bounce, just relax and your hands will drop lower.

Also, ride without stirrups in sitting trot and rising trot - especially rising trot, as this helps you relax the muscles - when you take back the stirrups you will find your heel drops naturally.

Often it is said that in schooling the heel should be parallel and in jumping then they should be down (but you have much shorter stirrups which help!)
As for toes forward then there is less of a pressure for this in the continent- I was actually asked by a dutch instructor where I had learnt to ride cause I had the best position of foot she had seen in an English rider! (and yes I had been riding for 13yrs at that time and been constantly nagged by English isntructors about my feet sticking out!)
The comment about physical condition might actually been accurate- my feet were because I have out of sync hips-much better now though. Go see an Osteopath and they may be able to locate the issue and help you sort it out.
Also focus on putting the weight on the outside of the stirrup- easier!

thanks guys but i know he's is only trying to help, though i think theres something up with my left ankle, it simply can't flex enough, plus i've fallen down the stairs way to many times a twisted it:eek:

i think i'll get there eventually, well give it another decade or two:p

newrider.com