It's been asked before but

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
People's views change etc.

For those who use a mounted camera out riding, where is it fitted?

I am using a smaller/ lighter camera so my thinking now is whether or not to put on my hat on the elastic thing, not fixed.

Alternative is a chest mount because I think the shoulder one will be annoying? I am likely to knock it looking round for traffic?

The older one is looking for a new home if you are on the look out for something cheap to get started. Stills available to show quality. :)

Reactions: Jessey
I have mine on my hat, its very small and light (UHWK) and on elastic/Velcro. I used to use my go-pro sized one on my hat too. Both fit at the front behind the fixed peak of my hat so I concluded it wasn't likely to change the way my hat worked (by comparison to side mounted ones)

Thanks for the reminder - I need to get mine out and charged up.

I wear mine on my hat too (HS1) on the elastic fitting. I'm not sure how risky it is. I'd like to think it would just twang off in a fall but I suppose if I fell directly on it, it would probably smash into the helmet, similar to landing on a stone.

Trouble is with the chest mounts, if you want to film your companion you have to turn your whole body. Probably get a more stable picture though.

I hate the sound of my voice on the recordings though, plus conversations that you can only hear one side of sound really stupid!

I rarely have a companion so I don't worry about that.
How is the side fitting one different @Jessey ? I don't like those anyway as I felt I would be restricted to how I used it.

I rarely have a companion so I don't worry about that.
How is the side fitting one different @Jessey ? I don't like those anyway as I felt I would be restricted to how I used it.
As I understand it, if you fell on it, then it is much more likely to cause additional damage to the hat/you. Where as my little one would never touch the ground as it sits behind my fixed peak so wouldn't change how the hat impacts the ground.

TBH I think you have got to be very unlucky for it not to ping off when on elastic, I guess the worry would be if it pinged down into your face.

I use my GoPro on the elastic, and I did fall off wearing it once (not recording unfortunately... that would have been cool!) and it did indeed ping off.

I use my GoPro on the elastic, and I did fall off wearing it once (not recording unfortunately... that would have been cool!) and it did indeed ping off.
Great minds think alike. If you go plop make sure someone sees.
Unless the horse is simply walking, then it's embarrassing!

Well yes, have camera, will film :D I always keep filming when other people fall off too, some people appreciate this, others not so much...

I found I never got on with the camera I bought half the time it didn't work, it was fiddly to use and it was side mounted on my helmet and seemed to pull the helmet to one side. I found it a totally useless expensive piece of kit.

Took a photo just to show how this attaches to the elasticated strap.
It's designed I am guessing to be worn on the cycle helmet or motorbike one?
It's a close up, and if I have concerns it's the fact it needs screwing twice to stay in place. First to attach it to the attachment and then to keep the angle.
Plus points it was simple to set up, touch record and go.

Now I should be writing - it was so light I didn't know I was wearing it. But I so did know I was wearing it and with a tweak I hope to solve that little gem!!!

PicsArt_07-27-08.06.26.jpg

newrider.com