It's nice when it works!

Mossy

Jan 9, 2000
Dartmoor
One of the ponies was being bucket fed in the field tonight, and anyway bossy boots aka Connie came barrelling over, ears back, to stick her nose in - literally! I was the other side of the fence, but did my best Monty Roberts act. Hand out, looked her straight in the eye, and a very firm "NO!!!!" and kept my hand out. Madam stopped dead, looked at me as if to say "Ooh eer" and kept off that feed bucket. She was watching me like a hawk and had I relaxed she would have been in there, but with me one side of the fence, her, another mare and a feed bucket the other she stayed out of the way simply 'cos she was told to. The yard owner was impressed. So was I but did not say so. One must be seen to be noncholent about these things!

Thanks all. No real secret. I've read a few of his books and lots of Kelly Marks, Mike Peace etc but mainly I've watched the herd in the field, with their comments in my head, and simply act lead mare. I would not have the arrogance to say that I understand Mike's methods but if you can look at a situation from the perspective of a horse and it's natural reactions big problems often melt away to little ones.

Hey. I havehad a similar response. When I was getting a horse in from the paddock, a big Clyde cross (who's always lookin' for extra grain) always trots and canters around, as do the little ponies int he field, all I have to do is hold my hand in the 'stop' signal and flick it and they all toss their heads and run.. They were not trained to do this.

Some horses see that as a threat to being hit. If they were abused when they were younger they could see you firm gesture as those seen just before being struck.

also the horses could view this as you being more predominant then they are in the social standing. When you want a horse to leave you alone, you're supposed to 'slink' away in a hunched over position. When you raise your arm, this gives to the dominance roll~~

newrider.com