It's Spring..Founder/Colic prevention???

SSage

Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Hi everyone,
We have been warned that suddenly changing our horses food from Hay to Grass can cause serious illness. Founder, colic etc. We will be moving them from a paddock area (no grass at all), where we have had them all winter, to a pasture.

They will be hay-fed in the pasture for at least another month until the grass really gets growing (we're in Canada)....but they will still me munching on the grass as it comes up. Will this be sufficient time to introduce them to the grass without making them sick?

Thanks, all help is GREATLY appreciated! :)

Yay! A laminitis quesition!!!!

I just gave a report on laminitis a couple weeks ago!

From what I learned, the reason you need to be concerned about the horses going to a grass pasture is because they are not used to the high levels of fructan that are present in green grass. The fructan isn't in hay- in as high of a concentration- or brown, dead grass.

The suggestion is to gradually reintroduce your horse to green grass. They recommend not puttinf your horse out in a green pastureall at once. If I were you, I would decrease the amount of time the horses had avilablity to the pasture as the grass starts to grow. Then, you can slwoly increase this time as the grass gets greener.

Alot of people might disagree with me on this, and I know that most people do not worry about doing this. Many assume that the horse will get used to the grass as it gradually grows. And some horses might. But you never know, and it is better to be safe than sorry, I think, especially when it comes to laminitis.

I know that the stable where I ride has a large area of pasture blocked off during the winter, and the area where the horses are now doesn't grow much grass b/c it gets trampled all winter. They gradually reintroduce the horses to green pasture to prevent any problems.

I think that gradually reintrodicing grass into the horse's diet is the best course. when I have a stable, this is definately going to be what I do every spring. If oyu have another area where you could keep the horses- a riding ring or muddier pasture, then I would do this. If not, try to make sure the horses are well-supplied with hay, and don't leave them out for as long.

Thanks hl!!

Wow, that is great info! But, how long of a time period is gradually? Take him out of the grass every other day? Every 2 days? Thanks for the help. There is always something to worry about! ;)

When I brought my "easy keeper" mare home to a green pasture I only put her out for two hours a day and gradually built up to about six hours. Of course that was on full lush grass and she had been kept in a pen on hay previously. Best to start slowly. One way to watch for possible problems is to monitor the crest of the neck; if it starts to thicken get the horse off grass for a while.

Like Tammy said

A certain number of hourse ach day- you don't want to skip days. And this might mean if you have no where else to put oyur horse that it will mean keeping them in thestall alot. But in my opinion, it's worth it.

I would start out with about 5 hours considering that the grass isn't green yet- at least not where I am, but if it is where you are, then cut that back. Graduallly increase by an hour or two each day. Watch your horses. If they go out and mow doown on grass, totally pigging out, then decrease the time. If they just seem to be munching slowly, and eating hay in between, then it should be ok to leave them for awhile.

I know it's complicated, and like I said, alot of people don't think this is necessary. But after I read about how easy it is for a horse to contract laminitis, I would rather be safe than sorry. Affirmed, the last winner of the Triple Crown, was put down about a month ago from complications with laminitis. And that's why Secretariat was euthanized at age 18, too.

newrider.com